Can't detect any wifi adapters

Peter Schmidt

5 posts in this topic

I'm currently running the latest updates of 10.6.8 on an AMD Opteron 180. I have a BCM4306 PCI wifi card that I have proven to work flawlessly in Linux.

Anyways, when I first installed mac, I didn't have a wifi card and did not intend to add one, so I uninstalled Airport. I'm now working on something (mac compatible, but multi-platform) that depends on a wifi adapter. So, I reinstalled Airport, I used the BCM43xx enabler, I installed the IO80211family.kext, and another network related kext, yet Airport and the Network utility still don't detect my wifi card. It is detectable by lspci | grep Network, and I also tried the "Simple Broadcom Wireless Tutorial" which didn't help (and BTW, is outdated and uses incorrect commands. I knew what it meant when it was wrong).

Is there something I'm missing? Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Edit device id of the your card here: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4331.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<string>AirPort_Brcm4331</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4331</string> change this

<string>pci14e4,4353</string>

<string>pci14e4,432b</string>

When you say "change this", change it to what? It was already set to that. I was, however, missing the next couple lines. I added them and rebooted and got a notification there was a network change but nothing happened. Are you sure that null configd thing doesn't have anything to do with this?