ML DP3 on Asus Rampage Gene II - help with boot delay

8 posts in this topic

I have ML DP3 running nicely on my Asus Rampage Gene II but I'm experiencing a long delay during boot.

Here's a the part of the log that shows the delay:

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111 <- sit's here for 75 seconds then continues
ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

The system then continues to boot and so far as I can tell everything is working fine including sleep, network, and audio (with DSDT and kext for audio).

I was looking for advice as to how I might debug the cause of the delay, anyone?

A few details:

• System specs in my footer.
  • The install method doesn't seem to be a factor, I've tried 3 different methods to install and they all succeeded (but with the above delay).
  • Everything boots without any additional kexts other than FakeSMC (Lacks audio, network, sleep and the disk icons are orange).
  • I have nothing enabled in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist
  • I created my own DSDT (from Linux) and patched it to enable audio (with kext), sleep and to fix the orange icons (it didn't effect the boot delay)
  • The delay is not present in my Lion 10.7.3 install.

Thanks very much, replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext did indeed solve the boot delay issues, boot time is around 10 seconds now :-)

I tried v1.4 initially (from my working Lion 10.7.3 install) but still experienced the boot delay, I then tried v1.3.6 and all was well.

• Like 2

I've just noticed that this kext prevents the kernel cache from building successfully.

Can anyone outline how I might debug this problem?

no problems with kernel cache on mine, did you try deleting them manually or use kext wizard to rebuild? At one point on DP2 when I was trying everything I could think of to find a fix for the boot time, I did get issue where console would show error trying to rebuild cache and all kexts would load on boot. Clean install with AppleACPIPlatform.kext rollback fixed it and no problems since. I am using 1.3.5

• Like 1

OK, I installed 1.3.5.

Tried deleting the caches manually and rebuilding via kextwizard but it failed to generate caches.

Tried manually building cache using: sudo kextcache -update-volume /

kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC]:  _AcpiHwRead
kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC]:  _AcpiHwWrite
Link failed (error code 5).
Prelink failed for com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC; aborting prelink.
Failed to generate prelinked kernel.
Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[376] exited with status 71.
Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache.

Can you run that command successfully?

If I put back the original ML DP3 kext the cache builds fine, but I get the 75 boot delay.

This is by no means a show stopped, just a bit annoying have to either wait for the delay or have no kernel cache.

Yes, no results- which only means no errors. I then ran it at -v 2 verbosity level and -v 4, only results are that caches are up to date and no helper partitions to update(but not running a RAID on ML so there are not suppose to be any). Did you try "touch" S/L/E?

Nope, touch isn't helping either.

I'll live with it, the ML code isn't final yet so there isn't much point getting to involved I guess.

Thanks for your help.