Weird Happenings After Installation of 10.6.6

2 posts in this topic

Okay it has been a while since I have attempted an install and just like before I have some issues that I can't seem to find any reference to for guidance, so I am asking for some help from the pros.

Okay first my system specs:

Mobo - Gigabyte M68MT-2

CPU - Athlon II x4 645

Chipset: Geforce 7025 South Bridge - nforce 630a

Memory - Crucial Extreme 8gig

Video - Geforce 210/GT218 1Gig

Audio - Realtek AL887 HD

LAN - Realtek RTL8211CL

Okay I installed retail dmg of Snow Leopard. I updated to 10.6.6 and installed 10.6.6 legacy kernel. Modified my boot.plst file with proper string for video card support. Rebooted and everything seems fine, but once the system boots to desktop I lose functionality with my Ethernet connection even though it shows in finder that it is there? iTunes, kext helper, and kext utility, crash constantly, so no ability to replace kexts. About this MAC shows proper video specs and cpu cores, clock speed, fsb, and memory allocation. No kernel panics at boot or or at desktop, not really sure what is going on, but I am completely lost as to how to fix these issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Update: I did some major research on the subject of my application crashes and noticed that if I put in the flag <maxmem=4096> at boot my system becomes a bit more stable and no more iTunes crashes. I guess you can't use more than 4gigs of ram period even though it is addressed correctly in finder. I still can't seem to get my Ethernet to work at all. I have read several posts about this issue, but none seem to help much with my particular chip, allot of chatter about the RT81xxx chip, but nothing regarding mine. I have some ideas on how to fix it, but I needed to get some ideas from some of you who have been working with this project longer than I have.

Okay this is what finder sees for my system configuration and video card specs and mind you the only problem in the system specs is my processor is not what is listed, mine is an Athlon II x4, but the clock speed and everything else is correct.

nVidia GeForce 210:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 210

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0a65

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 210 OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

Acer S231HL:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

System Configuration:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.11 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 512 KB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Serial Number (system): SOMESRLNMBR

Hardware UUID: C5E6CA73-2DAF-54FE-BEBD-B484C6E0E0AF

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix my Ethernet chip let me know, I will do my best to research what I can, but I do not want to break this installation because it is the most stable I have ever had, short of the network issues that is..lol