everything works except my sound :'(

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I managed to get OSX working on a DELL PowerEdge SC400... Everything works fine except for my soundcard, I ended up reading through quite a few posts and still have not come up with a solution.

If I plug a mic in, the input level goes up and down which means that at least is working. However I have no output.

A lspci info from linux (sorry I don't run windows) says that it is an Intel based 82801EB ICH5 AC97 Audio sound card.

I have search high and low and have the correct drivers installed... It just does not work :D any ideas?

Hi,

I managed to get OSX working on a DELL PowerEdge SC400... Everything works fine except for my soundcard, I ended up reading through quite a few posts and still have not come up with a solution.

If I plug a mic in, the input level goes up and down which means that at least is working. However I have no output.

A lspci info from linux (sorry I don't run windows) says that it is an Intel based 82801EB ICH5 AC97 Audio sound card.

I have search high and low and have the correct drivers installed... It just does not work :( any ideas?

Can no one help me with this?

Perhaps audio is coming out of the input jack, that happens on several sound cards. Also it would help if you listed the soundcard.

I did actually quote what sound card I have... However since I'm in linux I'll give you the whole output:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

I've tried both the line in and audio out jacks, neither works. However as said, if I plug a mic in, the input level meter thingy in osX moves when I tap it etc.

I know the sound card is fine because it works happily in Linux too... :whistle:

I did actually quote what sound card I have... However since I'm in linux I'll give you the whole output:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

Sorry, that isn't adequate. There are two chips involved in making sound, the codec chip and the controller chip. You have sort of identified the controller chip.

The codec chip will be a Realtek or a Soundmax or a Sigmatel or some such. You have an Intel ICH5 controller chip.

To do any work with these, you need to know the Vendor ID and the Device ID of both chips. If you read the Appendix of the following guide, you will find out how to get those ID's in Windows and how they are used. However, since you are using Linux, you are on your own to find a way to get the ID's.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18642

Sorry, that isn't adequate. There are two chips involved in making sound, the codec chip and the controller chip. You have sort of identified the controller chip.

The codec chip will be a Realtek or a Soundmax or a Sigmatel or some such. You have an Intel ICH5 controller chip.

To do any work with these, you need to know the Vendor ID and the Device ID of both chips. If you read the Appendix of the following guide, you will find out how to get those ID's in Windows and how they are used. However, since you are using Linux, you are on your own to find a way to get the ID's.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18642

Thanks for the reply... You've basically now given me a starting point.

Linux lists vendor_id and device_id (device_id = product_id) - So my details are:

VID: 0x8086

DID: 0x24d5

:dance_24: I'll try out the forum post you linked to and see if it works.

Easier than that with the 400sc if using its onboard sound. Run the MIDI app in Utilities, change to 6 speakers, and then change output speakers from 1/2 to 3/4, and you should get sound.

Really? It's actually that simple? I'll take a look... I'm armed with enough info now to get it all going.... Would be nice to get GL etc on nvidia, but not serious as I'm buying a mac next year... This is just to change everything over.

Linux lists vendor_id and device_id (device_id = product_id) - So my details are:

VID: 0x8086 DID: 0x24d5

I hope the Midi app solves all your problems.

If it doesn't, the above info is for the controller. Next you'll need the info for the codec chip.

I hope the Midi app solves all your problems.

If it doesn't, the above info is for the controller. Next you'll need the info for the codec chip.

God I thought trawling through tons of text that come out from the linux driver would do the trick... OK I'll try the midi thing, if that doesn't work I'll do another search.

Easier than that with the 400sc if using its onboard sound. Run the MIDI app in Utilities, change to 6 speakers, and then change output speakers from 1/2 to 3/4, and you should get sound.

Well it kinda worked! I have sound but it's not quite right... It only comes out of one speaker haha, I can't seem to get both going on any configuration :S any ideas?