Mountain Lion MCP79 woes

3 posts in this topic

I have a Dell Studio 1440 (14z) with an NVidia 9400M G, so its using the MCP79 chipset like the first unibody MacBooks. I currently have Lion 10.7 running on it, because 10.7.3 gives me a root device error (never investigated it). I've been working all night to get ML running and heres what I've got. It used to give me "Still Waiting for Root Device..." but I fixed that by replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, IOACPIFamily.kext and IOPCIfamily.kext with the 10.7 versions. Then it would hang on some Atheros failed to load error, and still waiting for root device, so I deleted IO80211Family.kext as instructed by a different thread. Now I get all the way to the end of the installer boot process, and it hangs at the point in the screenshot. Oddly, booting in safe mode causes a "Still waiting for root device..."? Any ideas? I'd love to have 10.8 to develop some jailbreak tweaks, and Airplay Mirroring is nice too ;)

phototeuw.jpg

UPDATE: Restored all ML kexts, and just deleted the IO80211Family.kext, same exact error...only other kexts in SLE is FakeSMC.kext, in Extra folder is a Macbook5,1 SMBIOS, my org.chameleon.boot.plist and my DSDT. Everything else is 100% vanilla. Tried Tonymacx86's Chimera 1.8.0, 1.9.1 and currently Chameleon 2.1svn 1916.

Don't see any issues with your boot logs up to that point. Not that it will be the final answer, but include nullappleintellpowermanagement.kext until os installed and unless booting from usb stick, don't have Extra/ folder with DSDT on 2 partitions, i.e. old Lion and ML installer. On lappy best would be to install ErmaC's newest chameleon trunk from this site to your Lion partition, keep DSDT there in Lion as normal and just copy your smbios to ML installer, may not even need that there. Chameleon will read extra folder on drive its first booted from B4 any other(which is why you can see your custom theme listed in that partition's org.chameleon.boot.plist before choosing what drive/partition to actualy boot into) have had ML problems when DSDT is on both the boot partition and the chameleon partition, can't tell from bdmesg logs or see any indication this is the cause, not sure if issue still occurs with newer ML Chameleon branches. Make sure ur using patched osinstall and supported.plist list is removed, smbios is for 64bit efi mac. may need to delete boot cache or flag UseKernelCache=no