need urgent help with snow retail here

Shaker

5 posts in this topic

i'm now installing snow leopard retail DVD! when in disk utility the installation disk doesn't detect my HDD, although i did create a primary and active partition for it, what to do??

The InsanelyMac psychics are on vacation, please try to be more specific.

What are you using to boot the DVD?

Don't create partitions with external tools before installing.

Use Disk Utility to format the drive and create partitions.

Post information about your hardware, especially your Southbridge make/model and hard- and optical drive configuration.

i'm using modCD as bootloader, i know all the steps to install mac os X as i did it before,

so this's what i did to try to get around the issue, i used the disk utility of a distro and it detected it (my HDD), tried to repair permissions using first aid, formated it with mac journaled..stuff. after that i switched to retail DVD again and the problem still remains.

i have a sis chipset,

ATA drive

Is your DVD drive connected to the same controller as the hard drive?

If you're using PATA drives (ie a PATA DVD drive and a PATA hard drive) they should be on separate channels, each jumpered and cabled (ie placed at the end of the cable) as master device on their respective channel. Don't connect more than one device to the same channel - no slave devices, and don't jumper anything as cable select.

The retail DVD has Disk Utility too same as the distro, you didn't have to do what you did, but it won't make any difference.

Formatted or not (filesystem doesn't matter either), the drive itself should still be visible.

The distro is seeing the hard drive because it already has patched drivers on it that works with your drive controller and your present drive setup. I think it's a safe bet that a retail DVD won't have support for anything from SiS, so unless you can fix it by configuring your hardware differently, you need to look at the contents of the RAM disk image on the boot CD (preboot.dmg) because that's where the patched drivers are.

If your drives are connected to the same controller and you can boot all the way into the installer (ie your DVD drive works fine) then I believe it's just a hardware configuration issue. Try cabling and jumpering the drives like I suggested and boot again. If it still doesn't work, try fiddling with BIOS settings for your drive controller.

• Like 1