sound for Lion on ESX 5.0?

7 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if it's possible to get sound running on Lion in ESX? I know that ESX 5.0 just started supporting sound. and I've seen zenith's driver...in fact I installed it on my lion VM with no results. Is this possible? I know that I don't have a sound card in the system, but I wouldn't think that would matter since it's virtual anyway. Any help would be appreciated. Especially with some examples of what I would need to add into the vmx file to make this work.

thanks

And how would you expect (just think about it in logical way) the sound to travel to you from Lion running on ESXi?

You do NOT get any output on ESXi (all you see is the console via vCenter Client)

sebus

You do NOT get any output on ESXi

You GET local output on ESXi with Lion. Just use a board with VT-d (I don't mean VT-x) supported with ESXi and a supported soundchip in Lion (I must use VoodooHDA).

This was a must-work feature because ESXi with local sound card/output is my iTunes Server.

Sorry, but if you have NO console (no video), what is the point of sound output?

I do not use iTunes at all, but as a server it serves to the clients, does not do any local playback (right? wrong?)

If one uses ESXi ONLY for Mac OS X, I find Linux Puppy x64 (Fatdog) with Workstation 8 as good (or perhaps even a better) option

sebus

• 2 weeks later...
if you have NO console (no video), what is the point of sound output

My ESXi machine does have a local soundcard. The cables goes to my living room to the speakers. Why do I need video/console to play music? I remotely control iTunes with "Remote App" on my iPhone and iPad.

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/remote

but as a server it serves to the clients

for sure, it's my mail, web and file server. And I don't need to start my Mac mini in the living room if I want to hear music only (for example at breakfast) and why shouldn't my ESXi play music if it runs 24h/day?

But that's not the question if it's useless for you. The question is, if sound is possible. And it is possible.