Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

2 posts in this topic

Hi guys, been researching all day. First-time builder here so any help would greatly be appreciated. However I have some experience adding removing computer parts, just never built one from scratch.

I'd like to build a badass workstation, no gaming. I'd also like it to dual boot OSX and Windows 7 so I can cater to clients' needs. Primary software is FCP, Avid, Premier Pro, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, and light Cinema 4d work. I plan to upgrade my graphics card later when the C4d work gets more serious.

Again, any help would be hugely appreciated, I'm a total noob!

Budget $2.5k (although less is always good)

ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (i read 2700k it's more reliable for OCing)

RAM(plenty for After Effects)

CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3A-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Graphics Card(cudas for Premiere Pro)

Galaxy 56NGH6HS4IVZ GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB Battlefield 3 Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Power Supply

OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply

Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

Already have

Dell SP2309W 23-Inch LCD Widescreen Monitor 2048x1152

Several 1TB 3.5" 7200 HDDs laying around. (will use as internal SATAs)

Apple keyboard

Apple mouse

OSX Lion

1.) I need an aiprort card, is this a reliable method? http://tonymacx86.co...php?f=19&t=1143

2.) I'm most unsure about my motherboard. Is it good? I like the 2 eSATAs. What affects the price difference in motherboards anyways? Should I just get this instead? http://www.amazon.co...d=24Z4L3UCAFWAD

3.) Any suggestions on how to make this build better? Faster? More uber?

4.) Am I missing anything? Compatibility issues?

If you really want a Hackintosh, I'd go with the GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 board instead.(Newegg carries it also). It definitely works for Hackintosh, (I have no idea about the Asus board). I just built a sweet system running Lion 10.7.3 and Windows 7 x64 with that board. One thing I learned from using the UD3H board is that you definitely have to disable onboard graphics unless the CPU has supported graphics. With an i5 2400 it wouldn't boot an Lion install until I set onboard graphics to only enable if no PCIe x16 card (essentially off) and then everything was perfect.

I used the kakewalk 4.1.1 method. I had to do a few patches after upgrading to 10.7.3 but it was easy to do.

Your graphic card should work, but it might take some hacking- check the OSx86 Wiki for info on what others did to get that card working.

Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sunborn
      So I just got Yosemite up and virtualized in ESXi.
      However, I am using workstation as a console like the KB says to do after 6.5.
      So the benefit of the workstation is that sound can come out if you add the adapter. This works just fine with a window$ VM. (BTW the documentation says it shouldn't work)
      In the yosemite VM it just produces a white-noise static when the sounds should be played.
      This tells me that it is a driver issue, and should be able to work in theory.
      However, does anyone have experience with VMWare workstation and the sound in OS X?
    • By Tom2998
      Ciao Ragazzi,
      Apro questo nuovo topic per chiedervi dei consigli, entro poco sostituirò il mio amatissimo "cassone" del 2011 con, finalmente, un pc per il verso. il mio più grande pensiero riguarda la compatibilità della scheda madre per cui mi affido totalmente a voi nella scelta. vi elenco il resto dei componenti suddivise anche per ordine di acquisto dato che comunque procederò in acquisti successivi e non tutto insieme
      Prima parte:
      cpu: intel i7-6700k ( oppure i7-7700k se la scheda integrata funziona)
      mobo: pensavo ad una  gaming da circa 200€, se con led ancora meglio  
      ram: corsair  vengeance ddr4 3000 MHz
      ssd: samsung 960 evo 250 gb ( windows + programmi) + ssd crucial 500gb (mac os x + programmi)
      hdd: trasferiti dal vecchio pc per i dati 2tb
      alimentatore: cooler master v750 (750W)
      case: cooler master mastercase maker 5

seconda parte:
      gpu: ancora da decidere ma dalla 1070 in su, vorrei utilizzare il cosiddetto "2k" tranquillamente
      raffreddamento: AIO ma devo ancora decidere quale.
      Non sono stato a mettere il costo di tutti i componenti ma comunque si accettano consigli su tutti i pezzi per avere la compatibilità migliore possibile .
      grazie in anticipo a tutti
    • By satantango
      Hi people there.
      I am new to the forum but not new to hackintosh.
      In 2012 I bought a dual xeon 5420 with a tyan board that run successfully os 10.6 for some years. This with a iatkos installer. Then I made a fresh install of 10.8 again from iatkos that runs great as well.
      This success led me to buy an intel s2600cp board with two 2670 xeons and 128 gb ram.
      I installed iatkos ml2 on it and it boots fine but the activity monitor only shows 3gb ram. The rest os the system and apps see 128gb, but it will crash when attempting to use more than 3gb, so I think activity monitor is right, and not the system profiler.
      I have also tried niresh mavericks. It installs and runs great but can´t seem to make the gtx660 work. It works in 10.9 but without any acceleration, and updating to 10.9.5 and using nvidia web drivers makes the screen freeze all the time (the mouse pointer still responds a bit). This is with ge=no. I have also tried ge=yes but I think it just got to a black screen. I have tried all sort of stuff but nothing seems to work. Was using chimera 3.0 and now switched to clover wich has far too many options.
      One thing I notice is that the screen seems to crash in relationship with disc activity. The more drive reads the more it freezes.
      There are thousand things I could still try, like different bootloaders, pci slots, graphics cards, freezefix app, etc. But before I loose all of my hair I tought I should ask here if anybody is familiar with this board. I have read of similar builds but not a single one with the s2600cp. 
      I don´t have experience with other installation methods like dsdt or creating a custom installer, just niresh and iatkos. Thought they should be fine as I got past the installer easily.
      Would be glad to help if anybody is on the same boat.
      Thanks in advance.
    • By Funkoyote
      Hello, I am looking for information for installing MacOs on a Dell Precision T5600 Workstation. I have not found anything yet and I was wondering if there is anyone around here with experience in these towers. Thank you very much.
      Precision T5600 Chipset 
      Manufacturer  Model  Intel  Intel C600 Chipset
      Manufacturer  Models  Intel Sandy Bridge E5-26xx series, LGA2011 :Intel® Xeon™ processors
      4, 6, and 8 Core support
      Up to 150W
      Instruction/Data Cache: 32KB
      Supports Dual Processors
      Intel® Xeon®E5-2620 Processor (Six Core HT, 2.0GHz Turbo, 6 MB Intel Smart Cache, 95 watt)
      Type  Models  Discrete PCIe 3.0 / 2.0 x 16  Up to 2 full-height, full length (maximum of 300 W) 
      2 GB AMD FirePro™ W5000  
      Specifications  Supported configurations  Memory type  DDR3 1333 MHz and 1600 MHz RDIMM ECC  Memory connectors  4 DIMM slots with single processor; 8 DIMM slots with dual processors  Supported memory module capacities  4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB RDIMM ECC Minimum memory  4 GB  Maximum memory  64 GB single processor; 128 GB dual processor 
      Type Model Integrated  RealTek ALC269 High Definition Audio
      Type Model Integrated Intel 82759
    • By mcBane
      Hi there,
      i've already brought a HP z800&400 to El Capitan, so now i wanna set up a fast rendering machine for VR, VFX and 4k renderings, using the following core components:
      1x i7-6950k
      2x MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 980 4GB OC
      1x ASUS X99-Deluxe II
      2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
      As usually the question arises whether those components will work on El Capitan or not - you dont wanna spend 4k on scrap metal right?
      And i definitely need Thunderbolt, so will this work with the ASUS X99-Deluxe II?
      Any information or guidance especially considering the i7-6950k will be appreciated.
      Thank you in advance