[HELP] AMD + Nvidia Compatibility

DeviateDefiant

5 posts in this topic

I've decided I want to make the jump to OSX but even after reading countless guides I'm still unsure how to go about the installation with my current hardware.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 (2.8Ghz)

Mobo: ASUS M5A99X (AM3+)

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

GPU: ASUS 560Ti GTX

HDD: OCZ Vertex 3 (120GB) - (!) I want to install Mac OSX on a 50GB partition if possible and keep the existing Windows 7 install.

+ 4 x 2TB Western Digital Caviar G, ASUS Xonar D2X, DVD-RW etc.

I was going to upgrade to one of AMD's newer Bulldozer CPUs but have decided instead to wait for Ivy Bridge and go back to Intel, however as it won't be feasible for a fair few months, I want to know how I can go about installing OSX in the meantime on my AMD machine.

Will I be able to install a stable OSX Lion system? ...and if so, where do I even start? I don't have immediate access to an existing OSX machine, Virtual Machine is a possibility if it can be done on my AMD W7 install.

I can't guarantee that it'll run smoothly for you. It's down to how much time you're willing to invest in researching and reading before buying. Chipset is important but there are other things to consider such as on-board LAN and sound.

Look around and see first if anyone has OS X running on anything with X77 chipset.

I know we have a couple of great tutorials for a couple of H67 based boards around here somewhere.

It's more important to have a stable Hackintosh than to use the latest hardware...if you're new to this, don't buy the latest hardware that nobody else has, if you do then you'll be on your own when you're in trouble.

• Like 1

Well I'm certainly looking at at-least a couple of months before I'm able to make the purchase so hopefully I'll have plenty of time to do my research. I will be looking at fairly new hardware as I work in the design industry and continually use CPU and GPU intensive applications. A Hackintosh may not be ideal, but I'd much prefer a user-servicable dual-purpose rig than having to stick with Apple's overpriced and limited hardware offerings!

Thanks for the advice, I'll be lurking the forums looking for information :)