Weird Problem with OSx86

Jdhore

3 posts in this topic

hey, i was wondering if you all could help me out...i'm running JaS's OSx 10.4.7 on my Toshiba laptop (2.4GhZ P4 SSE2, 512MB RAM), it WAS running fine up until about a hour or 2 ago...then it locked up so i rebooted, and now it refuses to go off the grey screen with the Apple logo and the spinning thing at the bottom of the screen...The only change i think i made since last reboot was getting my AC'97 audio working (using the guide on this site). I would be VERY grateful if someone could help me with this...i know the option to reinstall OSx is always there, but i'd prefer not to take that option if possible.

Thanking you all in advance for your quick reply.

JD

EDIT: sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum and if i did, mods, please feel free to move it to the proper forum.

well...i figured out that problem thanks to some people on the IRC server...it was this: "IOATAController device blocking bus" when i booted into verbose mode...now i'm reinstalling OSx and it's been running for over an hour now and it's only at 1-f***ing-percent of the base system install...from when i first installed it on this system, it took less than an hour and a half and it right now, an hour in says over 3 hours remaining...does anyone know what might be going on?

UPDATE: Either my HD is dead cuz S.M.A.R.T. said it was failing or i got REALLY lucky and was able to save it using Spinrite (which is a VERY AWESOME program)