Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Windows 8 booting through Apple EFI

4 posts in this topic

I've recently obtained a MacBook Pro Late 2011 13" (for my bday!!!) and I was messing around with Windows 8 Consumer Preview and found that the x64 edition has the /efi/boot/bootx64 already made.

The disk booted and installed fine (through UEFI). Then when you goto reboot when you press Option at the start up chime you get the 'EFI Boot' hard drive icon!!!!!

When you select it you will boot to the desktop and have running Windows 8 Consumer Preview. All through UEFI. The one problem with this is sometimes audio doesn't work and it is somewhat unstable and will occasionally refuse to boot and you have to force restart.

I've made a video on this booting and everything check it out!!

I've also posted this in Apple Hardware

Just trying to get the word around!!!

More info to come!!

Nice but I'm a little surprised. Wouldn't that mean Windows 8 has lower EFI version requirements (<1.1) than Windows 7 (2.0).

No actually Windows 8 probably is booting in a different way through UEFI

and newer Macs have a lot of 2.0 UEFI components in them for example: GOP, NetBoot, etc..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lilith
      i have a little old mobo with socket 1156 no Sata 3 - biostar tpower i55 and i Was wondering if i had some chance to install a new nvme memory like Intel 760p.
      Due lack of support by my mobo i found a Pci Express card lycom dt-120 to expand my connectivity.
      After some researches i understood that i need a ‘bios support for the boot from nvme disk’. I want some of these nvme memory to install high Sierra and get a killer desktop.
      I think that i haven’t obviously a native bios support cause my mobo is pretty old, so i can’t get an nvme disk and install properly high Sierra hoping that boot?
      Or should i catch anyway? I Guess that same problem is for w10? 
      Thanks, Gabriele.
    • By fantomas1

WWDC18 will take place June 4-8, 2018 at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California, USA.
      View full article
    • By fantomas1
      WWDC18 will take place June 4-8, 2018 at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California, USA.
    • By cvad
      Boot Disk Utility
      v2.1.2018 rev. 023b
      © cVad 2012-2018
      Latest update is always here.
      You can
      Make bootable USB Flash Disk for macOS with Latest Clover bootloader revision
      Download(with resuming) Latest! Apple Recovery HD package,
      Extract HFS-Image and Restore it with BDU.
      Automatically Check/Download the Latest Clover Rev.
      and Use existing Zip and LZMA Clover archives from Local Repository,
      Download files from User Download List
      and BDU Additional Download List,
      build FreeDos bootable drive
      with Volkov Commander.
      Feel free to click "like"

- Make bootable USB Flash Disk for MAC OS X with Latest Clover bootloader revision fast and easy by one click! under OS Windows 7 and later.
      Not supported  WinPE and Wine. -
      Special utility from cvad & russian MAC community for new hackintosh users.

BootDisk Utility is intended to make a external bootable USB Flash Disk by installing to it special Data set (MBR, PBR sectors and Data files) of EFI-based Clover bootloader (and may be Chameleon bootloader).
      BDU was created for new hackintosh users to simplify the installation
      of a EFI bootloader Clover to the flash drive.
      More information can be found in the appropriate forum topic:
      - Clover General discussion -
      Feel free to click "like"

• By giovanealex
      Hi guys.

Sometimes I am a complete noob, so I deleted two kexts from S/L/E and now my Asus Q200E laptop with OS X El Capitan boot hangs on kernel panic. I still can enter go through Clover to reach Recovery Mode and use Terminal, so I've put the two kexts on a USB pendrive and after some struggle I've managed to succefully copy them using Terminal, but the boot is still stuck on kernel panic. As I remember, these are the commands I've typed:

mount -rw

cp -a /Volumes/usb-stick/name.kext /Volumes/my-osx-drive/System/Library/Extensions

Is there anything else I should do? Is anything wrong? Should I type some command else? For instance, should I type something to fix permissions and rebuild cache?

Thanks a lot!