G5 Case Mod(EP45-UD3P) OSX Lion 10.7.3

laker2834

7 posts in this topic

Got this case off Craigslist for $20. The build took me around 4 weeks with a busy schedule to complete(as my sloppy work demonstrates). I was debating to post my build, but since I used this site as reference for most of my build I realized helping others would help since in case I can fill in any gaps.

BEFORE READING:

If you have any questions after reading, do not hesitate to ask!

Specs:

Mobo: EP45-UD3P

HDD: Intel 320 SSD 120Gb

GPU: AMD 6870 1GB

Mem: 8GB DDR2

Install Method Snow Leopard-> Lion10.7.3

-Borrowed 10.6.3 Retail from Friend.

-Chameleon Bootloader

-Combo update to 10.6.8

-App Store and Purchased Lion

-Used ######+ DiskUtility to put the App on USB DRIVE

-Went on a whim and clean installed Lion and it worked

-Used ###### for Lion for audio/ethernet.

-That's it.

Link to Web Album:

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Almost all the parts taken out:

Gutting%2520Out-1.jpg

Completely gutted:

Cleaned%2520out-1.jpg

Here I replaced the SuperDrive with my own DVD drive, and fixed the eject door so it would open/close correctly. I also just screwed in the HDD bay into the DVD metal tray since it works perfectly. To get the ATX screws nicely in I JB Weld(ed) them in after drilling holes that didn't go past the backing and placing the threaded end inside the holes *

NOTE:

I used 16 ATX screws to level my MOBO off the backing by screwing screwing one into another then JB WELDING them. It may vary between motherboard, but it worked to let me screw my video card onto the GPU holder:

InitialHDDTray%252BJBWELD.jpg

Motherboard, SSD, HDD CD all in:

SettingMOBO%252BHDin.jpg

Front 120mm Fan Holding Mechanism:

Building%2520Fan%2520Mechanism.jpg

Fan Mechanism screw in by using two machine nuts and tightening both sides. (two screw rods #8-32+ #8-32 machine screw nuts:

100_0381.JPG

ALL IN:

100_0369.JPG

Back with fans screwed into cut Aluminum fitted Aluminum, it wasn't the cleanest job, but I'm satisfied with the outcome since I'll likely never see it again.

100_0397.JPG

First Time On after struggling to find power switch connector. EXTREMELY JOYOUS moment right there.. The Fan lights are white leds, camera gave a blueish tint but it looks much better in person.

FRONTVIEWON.jpg

Lastly, OSX Lion 10.7.3 was installed on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P with AMD 6870 1GB GPU with an Overclocked CPU to a stable 3.3GHz with 8GB RAM and 120 GB INTEL 320 SSD, 500 WDCAVIAR BLUE.

Screen%252BShot%252B2012-02-26%252Bat%252B4.30.07%252BAM.jpg

I really like your fan mechanism, but how did you secure it to the g5 case? And where did you get those L brackets?

You can find the L-braces at Home Depot, 4 for $2 I think.

These are them, though I believe they are 3/4 in version not the 1 inch version as in this link which will NOT work for the fans

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Braces-Mending-Plates/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar3w/R-202033890/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

If you look around home depot near the wood/where they store aluminum, they have those long screws I think #8-32(about a foot long) so I used those to slide through these braces and I drilled two holes down into the bottom of the case(no one will see it) and used four machine nuts to tighten it(One inside the case, one outside, and spin in opposing directions). Also ull need machine nuts to make sure those braces stay put..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

What did you do with the power switch and how did you install Lion? Great job with the case btw :)

With the power switch, I ended up using an old switch from computer and putting it into my case, then I learned a few users on here actually make cables for this exact front panel input/output switch.(You can switch it on with the button on the front of the case) You can personally contact them, one user is BlackCH(UK-based) and the other is AlohaCab (US). They're roughly $35 and well worth saving yourself the trouble of making one yourself.

Not sure about AlohaCab's cable but make absolutely sure whether or not you have a firewire connection on your motherboard otherwise it won't work unless you ask for a jumper cable that he'll provide if you buy from BlackCH!

As far as installation, you either need a friend with a mac

A retail snowleopard Disc, it was a while back but I believe I used kakewalk to install snow leopard on a disc

then download/purchase OSX Lion and put it onto a usb drive using ###### and disk utility.. after that it was all simple kext installation(######) since my parts all pretty much worked out of the box.

Looks good! I also gutting a G5 case as we speak. How did you remove the top "tray" thats under the DVD drive? I tried removing the door locking mechanism, but was unable to pull the plastic guide out (didn't want to break it..) I got the 3 locks out, got all the machined screws out.. but that plastic part ?

I'm also keeping the original short standoffs to mount the mountainmod tray to.. great work! I think I'll be upgrading my 10.6.8 to Lion too.. I can upgrade without re-installing ?