Error loading operating System

Nofences

16 posts in this topic

Ok, First off, I have read 5 or 6 different posts on this subject and tried the recommended fixes to no avail.

My Setup -

Dell Inspiron 1100

P4 2.4 Celeron

20 GB HD (Partitioned 10gb OSX, 10gb Windows)

512 MB Mem

OSX is hd0,0

XP is hd0,1

OSX is set to active and is primary partition formatted through Disk Utility to HFS+

I loaded using JaS 10.4.7 DVD.

OSX and XP are both loaded and functioning. I can get in to OSX as long as I leave the Install DVD in. OSX functions well once it is started.

I have tried going in to System Preferences/Staurtup Disk to set my disk as stratup but it is not recognized.

It seems to me that Darwin isnt loading from the HD for one reason or another. However it loads from the install disk which allows the OS to load from the hard drive. My question is how to I get it fixed so it loads from the HD itself?

I would really appreciate any constructive input.

Nofences

Setting the timeout parameter will force the Darwin (OSX) bootloader to appear.

Boot into OSX.

Edit the boot.plist file at "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" and add the following:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

You can edit the file by dragging it to the Desktop and editing it with TextEdit, then dragging it back, answering the 2 resulting dialogs - Authenticate and yes to replace, then followed by using Disk Utility to repair permissions on the OSX partition.

Or you can do it via Terminal with this command:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

OK, after a complete reload of both XP and OS X I am still getting the same error "Error Loading operating system".

Again, it boots just fine with the Install DVD in the drive. I tried the above reccomendation of altering the com.apple.boot.plist file and adding the timeout string.

Darwn still doesnt attempt to load, it goes straight to the Error loading operating system message. If anyone has any other ideas for me I am willing to try them.

Nofences

OK, after a complete reload of both XP and OS X I am still getting the same error "Error Loading operating system".

What software did you use to partition the drive with? Sounds like it isn't setting up the MBR correctly. Some people have reported problems with Partition Magic.

I used the Disk Utility on the Install DVD. Seems to have worked fine on my other PC/Mac install.

I made the Mac partition the primary active, and the Windows the secondary.

I then rebooted, installed the Windows CD and loaded windows on the second partition.

Another reboot and I went in to terminal on the OSX dvd and made the OSX partition active and then installed OSX with the correct patches.

Now I have both installed. I can boot to Windows (if I maje that partition active) and I can boot to OSX if I leave the install DVD in.

Sound correct to you?

To the best of my knowledge, the Disk Utility on the installer DVD does not do MBR partitions. Only Mac partitions. When you use Disk Utility to create MBR partitions, you have to click the Options button under Partition and select MBR. But Disk Utility on the install DVD is an older version and doesn't have the Option button.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=4693

Partitioning should be done using a Windows utility (or the Windows installer) or a Linux utility. It is probably why people tend to install Windows first so they can use the Windows installer to set up the Disk.

I installed Windows and then used the Windows Diskpart utility as described here: http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/05/...ndows-computer/

You can boot into Windows via a boot cd with a boot manager like ultimate boot cd. Then set the OSx partition active via the diskpart like Rammjet said, then setup the darwin bootloader with the timeout key. Or, once in windows, you can install Acronis Disk Director with the OS selector prgoram to setup a simple dual boot.