i5-2500k, cpu scaling is working?

buridda

5 posts in this topic

hi guys, I installed Lion following tonymac's guide and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].. everything works fine, just a few (known) problems with hd3000.. also sleep is fine and I can see no problems/error booting in verbose mode.. I am on 64bit

but.. I come from many hacks where I had problems with automatic cpu scaling and/or some CPU cores disabled (cpus=1 to be able to boot etc).. and so I would just like to check if here everything is really good as it seems icon_e_smile.gif I know the CPU is also used by apple so everything should be ok but who knows..

my question is: is there a way to know if the i5-2500k is really fully working 100% (all cores correctly enabled) and if it is really scaling automatically as it should do depending on the cpu load? (I used UserDSDT so in my plist boot file I have the cfstate and cpstate options enabled)

in the past I used voodoo monitor to check that.. but in 64bit it won't work I think and also I would like to keep the system as more "vanilla" as possible.. so I would prefer not to install other 3rd party kexts if not really needed.. is there maybe a program or another way to check? maybe looking at dmesg or maybe also a terminal command like cat /proc/cpuinfo in linux? icon_e_smile.gif

thanks in advance to anyone..

bye! icon_e_smile.gif

that was easy.. thanks! :)

I see the four cores, almost no activity when the system is idle, and a lot of activity with multiple apps running or geekbench running.. so that's should be OK :)

but this doesn't mean cpu scaling is working.. does it? isn't it just showing the cpu load in a particular moment?

thanks bye!

you can load FakeSMC plugins for your set of sensors (on motherboard) and CPU plugin for voltage and temp reading,

you can use SMC monitor to check your CPU speed, temp and voltage (after applying plugins) and also istat menus (more advanced app)

ciao NoamAA and thanks for the reply!

yes I forgot to update the post but in the meantime I tried with IntelCPU Monitor kext + SMC Monitor and I can see both temperatures and frequencies on the 4 cores.. freqs are changing in real time according to the load.. so it seems the speedstep is working! :)

thanks bye! ;)