Starting Out - Suggestions/Help

Spudgun

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Been a fairly long time lurker; finally took the plunge and signed up as this seems to be a great community with some fantastic members!

Many years ago I remember successfully installing a Kalyway / JaS (if I recall!) Mac OS X distro onto on old P4 PC back in the day and it ran great. As it was only done as a pure 'because I can' project; shortly after the PC was reverted back to it's original purpose (spare/media centre PC) - and I haven't felt the need to go back to Mac OS X, until now.

I've been planning on building up/setting up a Hackintosh for regular use for quite some time now - and after having read a lot of tutorials, suggestions, forum posts, Wiki pages etc - I've attempted to install OS X 10.7.2 on two different machine, and had a 0% success rate. :-)

Primarily; I'd like to install Mac OS X (I'm prepared to install 10.6.x or higher) on a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15 0301-GSG. First and foremost; can you guys see anything (specs wise) that would blatantly present me with problems? (specs at the end of the post) I've managed to install using the iATKOS L2 DVD; then upon boot the system locks. Booting in verbose mode I can see that the system halts at the following line:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin: :start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

DSMOS has arrived (only sometimes does this appear)

Then it stays there, forever! (well, around 2 hours I left it and nothing happened hehe).

I've not touched any of the advanced settings in the install either; I did try reinstalling / fiddling with toggling certain items off and on - but it always halts at the same place after restarting.

Here are the specs;

Celeron P4600(2GHz),2GB RAM,320GB 5400rpm HD,15.6in 1366x768 LCD,Intel HD Graphics,CDRW/DVDRW,802.11bgn wireless,1Gb Ethernet,UltraNav,6c Li-Ion

Hope you guys can help! If this isn't a possibility; I have a spare PC with a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L mobo; which from what I've read plays ball much nicer off the bat - I'll pursue this if it's a thumbs up from you guys!

Thanking you all in advance :-)

Kyle

Can you check for the exact graphics chip of the Lenovo?

There are kexts for GMA945/950 but many others are unsupported.

Some utility like SystemInfo may help to make clear.

Grraphics is a problem for G31 chipsets too unfortunately. ICH7 is fine.

Those boxes can run OSX, but no QE/CI and only with a 1024x768 or 800x600 screen.

Would be fine for a headless server, but thats no what you wanted, I suppose.

You could of course pick a compatible PCI graphics card for your Gigabyte board.

For a bootloader, I guess nawcom´s would be the one or maybe [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Using such utilities still pulls the generic 'Intel HD Graphics Accelerator' or 'Intel Integrated Graphics Controller'. I can give you the Subsystem ID if thats any help;

VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_215A17AA

Although I'm guessing it's fairly safe to say that this will be a dead end anyway; as like you said I plan to use it for a client purpose :)

Moving on then! The spare PC I have which has a G31M-ES2L board has an Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 CPU (from what I've researched should be suitable!) and NVIDIA 8800GT (the good old days! :-).

Would you suggest installing 10.6.x with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or a more recent revision of OS X with another method?

Thank you so much for replying so fast; it is most appreciated!

Kyle

UPDATE!

Installed using iATKOS L2 on the Gigabyte motherboard - without touching any options and it booted! Huzzah!!

OOB no Ethernet/Graphics/Audio acceleration; currently researching this - thanks for all of your help so far!

Little harm could be done in trying with the Lenovo, I think.

GParted Magic has very good system query utilities and it uses a nomenclature similar to BSD.

As you made SL work, SystemInfo for Mac will tell you the devices names and IDs needed for operating.

A E6400 and GF8800 should be perfect for OSX.

I would install 10.6.3 with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or Nawcom, upgrade with the combo to 10.6.8, backup everything to external with CCC.

Afterwards I would try [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] installation with a thumb drive. For creating the Lion stick you will need your 10.6.X system anyway.

That way I was successful with my box, but I prefer to stay with SL.

Right now Nawcom´s Mod CD from last years spring is my favourite, but your mileage may vary.

http://www.osx86.net/cat/2-bootloaders.html

Ok; last night I managed to get everything working on the Gigabyte G31M-ES2L board - full GPU acceleration (NVEnabler), VoodooHDA working with all required inputs/outputs (Realtek chip), and the Atheros LAN kext.

Well chuffed I must say!

Thank you once again for your help; it is most appreciated. Now; to buy a laptop with Mac OS X 'supported' specifications :-)