ESXi and Lion Server?

9 posts in this topic

Hey gang -

I've read up on folks getting Lion to install on ESXi and it piqued my interest. Has anyone tried with Lion Server yet? I have an ESXi 5 server running at home with several Linux VMs running on it. I'd like to spin up a Lion Server VM if possible. From what I've seen: Lion's 10.7.2 version is causing some grief due to one of the kexts. If I purchase Lion Server from Apple, any idea if it's also got that troublesome kext in it? In other words, did Apple update the Server at the same time they updated the standard Lion OS?

Thoughts or guidance? It's a $50 experiment, so if it fails, it fails. But I'm curious to know if anyone's tried it yet.

Thanks!

jas

Hey gang -

I've read up on folks getting Lion to install on ESXi and it piqued my interest. Has anyone tried with Lion Server yet? I have an ESXi 5 server running at home with several Linux VMs running on it. I'd like to spin up a Lion Server VM if possible. From what I've seen: Lion's 10.7.2 version is causing some grief due to one of the kexts. If I purchase Lion Server from Apple, any idea if it's also got that troublesome kext in it? In other words, did Apple update the Server at the same time they updated the standard Lion OS?

Thoughts or guidance? It's a $50 experiment, so if it fails, it fails. But I'm curious to know if anyone's tried it yet.

Thanks!

jas

Jas,

Unlike Snow Leopard, Lion Server is an update to Standard (Client) Lion, so if you get Lion from the Appe Store now it will be 10.7.2, although I believe the USB Sticks are still at 10.7.0. I have Lion Server 10.7.1 running happily on ESXi 5, but have not bothered with the kext patches to allow the upgrade to 10.7.2. I have been waiting for an ESXi 5 patch to resolve the issue, as it has been resolved with the release of Fusion 4.1.1, Workstation 8.0.1 and Player 4.0.1.

Hope this helps, MSoK.

Unlike Snow Leopard, Lion Server is an update to Standard (Client) Lion

Thanks for clarifying. I discovered the same sort of thing after researching this a bit more. My Lion installer is 10.7.0, so I'm OK there. I just patched ESXi and need to schedule a reboot. From there it should be straight forward. I hope. :-)

Thanks!

jas

From there it should be straight forward. I hope. :-)

Well that was pretty easy. I have 10.7.0 running; I haven't bothered updating just yet. Since I have no experience with Lion Server, I wonder if it's even worth it. One of the things I intend to do with this VM is leave iTunes running so that it can export and share my MP3s across both LANs in my house. When the server add-on runs on Lion, does it leave the iTunes binary installed? Or does it remove it with the assumption the machine will be headless, and therefore has no need for iTunes?

Thanks!

jas

• 2 weeks later...

Please DO update to 10.7.2

Performance improves a lot, feel snapier & more stable

I guess perhaps my last post was a bit confusing. What I meant by "I wonder if it's even worth it" was: is it worth it to convert Lion to Lion Server? The only thing I'm using the VM for at the moment is exporting my iTunes library over the 2 LANs in my home.

And for what it's worth, shortly after that last post, I did indeed update to 10.7.2, following the instructions available here. Easy stuff, and it's running fine.

jas

Hey Jason, I too have virtualized Lion in ESXi 5. I installed Lion Server and IMHO, it's not worth the addition of all the server components you'll never use on a small music sharing/home network. The only exceptions that come to mind are the following services: Address Book, VPN, Network Account Server (single-signon for networked Macs, similar to Windows' Active Directory), and central Time Machine (although there are non-server ways to accomplish this using AFP).

However with that said, it doesn't touch iTunes should you want to do the upgrade.

My 2c

I installed Lion Server and IMHO, it's not worth the addition of all the server components you'll never use on a small music sharing/home network.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I sort-of figured the same thing, but it's nice to get some confirmation of my assumptions. I've no real need for the other technologies you listed in your post, so it's likely I'll just keep running Lion as is.

jas