Stalls at Boot

satanskin

27 posts in this topic

I followed one of the dual boot guides and used the dd command to copy it to the partition. I set up a new entry in grub for it and i can boot into darwin. It gets all the way to the grey bootscreen with the apple logo and spinning circle. After a few minutes a small square icon of the "no" symbol (the circle with the line through it) pops up. The circle keeps spinning, and it just stays at this screen.

I also tried booting into safemode, but get the same thing. Using the -v flag, it gets down to a message about "IOATAController device blocking bus." Then it lists two lines something about AppleGenericPATAdriver and two IRQs. Then is just sits for a few minutes and every few minutes it will post a new line saying "Still waiting for root device."

Has anyone else had this problem or know what is causing it? Any ideas how to fix this or workaround it?

P.S. I've also tried using boot options of "rd=/dev/hdb3" and "rd=(hd1,2) which would be the partition that it's on. Neither of these worked either.

Alright, now, I'm in the same situation as the above person.. Exactly the same thing.

Im running a native install on a Dell GX260 with an IDE drive as master on the first ide bus.

I've tried everything, I've even booted off with darwin, mounted my installed drive and hand-edited the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConf/com.apple.Boot.list and add the parameter

<key>rd</key>

<string>disk0s1</string>

AFAIK this should fix it, i've also passed parameters at boot and apparently it ignores both ways of fixing this :\

Perhaps I should experiment more with this file.

I have the same problem as well. I've tried installling it to two parititions (one on my main, one on my secondary drive) as well as reinstalled it on both several times.

Same "Still waiting for root device" thing EVERY time. It annoys me greatly.

Well if this seems to be some ata problem.. I'm using the Intel Corp. 82801DB (ICH4) Ultra ATA 100 Storage Controller (rev 01) chipset, and in darwin it works OK. After I untar the mactelbase.tar to / and reboot, that's where the problems come in.. Perhaps using the darwin driver instead of tiger's would fix that?

well.. when I install Darwin from the cd natively.. all of my ide drives work flaulessly.. Until I replace them with OSX.. someone should try the method I mentioned.. Backup the ATA drivers from Darwin and replace them.. I can't try right now because my cdrom drive is screwed :\

It sucks to be stuck in this way <_< so close, and yet there seems to be no solution for the problem :)

Replace the IOATAFamily.kext with the one from the Darwin 8.0.1 cd.

-----

Edit: Here's something funny... Every time I reboot I have to replace the IOATAFamily.kext and delete my Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext, or else it won't boot. Any ideas how to stop this from happening?

Replace the IOATAFamily.kext with the one from the Darwin 8.0.1 cd.

-----

Edit:  Here's something funny... Every time I reboot I have to replace the IOATAFamily.kext and delete my Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext, or else it won't boot.  Any ideas how to stop this from happening?

Thanks :blink: Do you mind if you could explain me how to replace IOATAFamily.kext (I downloaded Darwin so it's not a problem getting the file) since I do not know how to get access to the apple partition? I'm a noob :D

ok ,guys, I had the same problem last night and I was s frustrated, I started playing with IDE Configuration in BIOS and when I changed the IDE Type to P-ATA , then it worked and I booted to OSX. The speed is ok , (even after removing TPM Kext ) OSX doesnt recognize my LAN , graphic card.

I am using Pentium D 2.80 Ghz

Asus p5ld2 - 945 Intel Chipset , SSE3 , SSE2

Hope it would be helpful to somebody.

same as previous.

Boot in pearpc, be sure to make your real hard drive mounted so you can see it in osx.

mount the darwin iso.

drag the file from the darwin iso onto your hard drive and replace the old kext.

Delete the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache. I dont know how/why I have to do this every single time i boot. Can someone please figure this out?

Greets,

Try this:

Edit /etc/rc

Find linesc containing kextd or kextd -x

Add -v 6 -c -d to them

Reboot and boot verbose

Check at what extension the pc hangs using the verbose output from kextd

Delete that extension in single user mode and remove the flags