Anybody tried Radeon 7970 on Lion 10.7.3 preview build?

snakenobi

3 posts in this topic

I am building a new rig and thinking of going with the latest graphics.

As 6970 is very old and so will be GTX 580,7970 is newest and best GPU in the market.

I do not want to buy GTX 580 which has major hackintosh issues,idk if they have been solved fully.Nor do i want to go with 6970.

As new games and application will need 7970 and upcoming Keplar Nvidia GPU's,i am wanting to go with the latest.

Keplar is too far away and we have no idea when it will have OSX support if any.

The Tahitii codename is mentioned in the lastest Lion Preview builds so its support might come soon and as recent history of Mac's showed us,AMD cards will defintely be the ones Apple chooses and gets the support.

So anybody taken the step?

What do you recommend for me?

• 2 weeks later...

yes, I've tried (on an 8-core mac pro 2008), and no, no luck out of the box.

I've not yet tried with today's official release of 10.7.3 but i doubt there are any kexts that weren't already in the previous two builds (11d36 and 11d4). the 3000 series kexts everyone was excited about on their own don't seem to cut it.

booting with only the radeon 7970 XFX black single* dissipation (*i discovered the hard way not all black editions are double dissipation) simply gave me a big black nothing. i was once able to screen share from another computer however.

More interestingly, when i hooked up a 2nd power adapter and booted with both the 7970 and my official apple EFI ati radeon 4870 in place, i was able to confirm that the system could see the radeon 7970 card, but it also clearly indicated no drivers were installed.

installing 10.7.3 11d4 with both cards already in place also had no effect.

I also experimented with the ati exotic patch, which had no positive effect on the 7970, and since my 4870 is already an apple card, the exotic patch only mucked things up. ended up having to do a clean install.

I have all the hardware at hand so if anybody needs me to try anything out for them i'm happy to confirm results. I'm desperate to get it up and running for rendering in motion 4x faster than i can right now!

**Update**

tried with mountain lion 10.8 and same results. still no drivers showing up. things seem to point to a mac pro refresh this summer (if at all). fingers crossed.

Edited by cmk☆