Need a new i7 Hackintosh to run lion..Advice please :)

Gibson98

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I currently have about 3 hackintosh's that power our music studios. They work flawlessly and have to say better than the actually mac pro 8 core we have which is a little baffling sometimes!!!!

We need a new hackintosh system to run music tasks etc and it will be heavy use aswell. I want to base it off an i7 with as much gigs of Ram as possible etc etc and if possible to install using a retail DVD so i can update it etc.

Can anyone offer advice please?

The budget will be about £600 - $930

Many thanks

Joe

Hi, my i7 spec is in my signature,

If you can find the motherboard you can probably build the whole rig (minus the case, watercooling and 480GTX) for £500, in fact, look here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/i7-920-DO-ga-ex58-ud5-board-12gb-ram-h50-watercooler-intel-x-25m-ssd-/250965558667?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item3a6eb6858b#ht_2578wt_998

Easy, had 10.6.8 installed and booting, created a lion DVD from the Lion GM download, stuck it in and booted from it using my pre-installed chameleon (at that time I was using a late revision of Chameleon 2.0 RC5).

With my dsdt patched all I need to install is a patched AppleHDA.kext, ALC8xxHDA.kext, FakeSMC.kext and it boots perfectly.

I use a patched kext for graphics but thats only to enable GL and power management.

video cards may be the tricky part for you. i have an ATI6870 and was unable to run ableton and use dual monitors at the same time. luckily, i found the fix in snow leopard and now my graphics card is supported natively in lion so its a non issue.. but definitely something you may want to research