Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Bootable Backup Disk - How?

5 posts in this topic

I have successfully upgraded my Dell Optiplex GX 520 (2.8GHz/500GB-SATA/4GB-RAM/Intel GMA950) so that it now runs Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Everything works fine (Ethernet, Hardware accelerated Graphics, Sound & USB)

– for your reference Unreal Tournament 2004 runs fine with low graphic settings (Intel GMA 950 J).

Here is my problem (not related to Hacintosh – I guess):

I would like to make a bootable system backup hard disk of my system – cause I’m pretty sure I will f..k the system up at some point. I am unable to create a mirrored bootable disk.

I have tried to recover the system disk to an external USB disk using the OSX Disk Tool. It mirrors the disk fine but I’m unable to boot it (BIOS selected USB boot as well as internal SATA boot)

I have tried to use CCC (free version) in the same way, but still without luck.

Could someone guide me here – this must be a common task – and I cannot think of a reason why the Chameleon Bootloader would not be transferred via the backup/mirror process and be capable of booting the mirrored system – bu maybe I’m wrong?

Best regards

Do you have Chameleon installed to your Snow Leopard partition or to an EFI partition?

If it's on your SL partition it should be bootable after cloning via either CCC or Disk Utility. If it's not, you can always install chameleon to it manually or via the GUI installer.

My PC refuses to boot from USB with AHCI mode enabled, it's a flaw in the BIOS. This may/may not be your problem but I thought I'd just mention this because it does happen and it may prevent you sitting there, scratching you head and wondering why the USB drive doesn't appear to be bootable.

Hi James,

Tanks for the speedy reply.

My main system disk boots without any extra disk meaning that Chamelion is installed ón the main system disk.

I have read that USB boot might not work, but I would have expected it to work if I attached the backup disk as internal SATA - but it does not.

I Will try to install Chamelion to the backup disk and post back.

I have to install a bootloader on my CCC backup disk.

So I dont think the bootloader is cloned as well.

Why should it on a second thought? A real Mac wont need it and CCC is made for Macs.:-)

Hi again,

Thanks again for your comments. You are right! None of the cloning methods transfers the boot-loader.

I ran Chamelion 1.1.4 from my master and installed it to my backup disk. I then tried to boot and this time the Chamelion boot screen appeared - however it must have ruined my original files, because the system re-booted while trying to start the the OSX - fair enough since I made no additional configurations and used Chamelion 1.1.4 (approved for 10.6.3 and not for 10.6.8).

I then did another CCC from the master to the new boot-loading Backup disk ensuring that existing files would be overwritten by files from the master. After CCC did its thing I rebooted the system using BIOS USB boot selection and everything worked like a charm (in fact I'm writing this using the backup boot disk

I still think it is somewhat misleading that a disk cloning tool only clones what it thinks is relevant to a real Mac. In my world a block cloning program running Windows, Mac or whatever should clone everything - hmm.

Thanks again, for your comments

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By nico3469
      Hey guys
      Here is my little guide to install OSX 10.6.8 on the EeePC 1000H.
      I'll quote some of the CicciMTS and scenemusic topics, thank you guys.
      What is needed ?
      A Asus EeePC 1000H
      A 8GB or more USB Pen drive
      An empty hard disk drive
      An other mac or hackintosh
      A USB mouse
      My package of tools, including the latest Apple OS X 10.6.8 Combo update
      Restore and Boot from USB
      On your mac/hack, go to Disk Utility, find your USB Pen drive, erase it with GUID Partion Table and Mac Extended Format (journaled). Then, restore your iAtkos image on your USB pen drive.
      Next, you need to make your USB drive Bootable. Find Chameleon in the tools Folder, open it and install it on your new Snow Leopard USB pen drive.
      Boot into BIOS, if available, set the SATA mode to AHCI. If you can't it should work too so don't worry
      Select your USB Pen Drive and boot on it. Chameleon will appear, select your iAtkos install drive, and type -v to boot in verbose mode. After a moment, the OSX installer should appear. Trackpad will not work so plug in a usb mouse. Select your language and click next. on the top of the screen, find disk utilty, and erase your HDD with GUID Partion Table and Mac Extended Format (journaled) options, and close Disk Utility. Click Next until the installer ask you on which drive you want to install OSX. Do not install it yet, click on Customize. Select the following options :

USB (all)

SATA/AHCI or INTEL SATA/IDE if you didn't enable AHCI in your bios

GMA950 (all)

Ralink RT2860

Click OK and install OSX on your HDD.
      First Boot and update to 10.6.8
      Remove your USB stick from your computer, Chameleon should appear, boot your new OSX installation with -v boot flag. Once you've created your account you should be on your desketop.
      Run the Combo Update installer but do not reboot!! Force Quit out of the installer (hold down the Option key and click and hold over the Installer icon in the Dock. Select Force Quit) and Run the Legacy Kernel installer and then reboot the machine.
      now you should see that your graphics driver doesn't work anymore. Run Kext Utility and let it repair the permissions and update the cache. when it says "all done" drag and drop all the graphics kext into kext utility, and when it says "all done", reboot your computer. Cross your fingers and reboot your computer. You should now have a fully working EeePC 1000H, with graphics, sound, wifi, USB, bluetooth and Ethernet Working with the lastest Snow Leopard update. You can have the latest security updates on your system with Software Update, it will not damage your installation.
      Sorry for my bad english, I'm french. Fell free to ask questions if you need, thank you guys
    • By srmusico
      Hi, im leaving Mavericks in my Hackintosh  to  Sierra.
      I have toons of plugins  and all my music apps stable and working.
      I want to get this SSD cloned to my other HD.
      I have tried Carboon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper!
      But with both programs isn't botable  and both copies with the same problem.
      After of cloning i tried to start the bootloader (I have chimera in this Mavericks)
      Then tried to start. No Chimera, so i reintalled.
      Then again i tried to start. At this time, chimera boot and i can select this new clone HD.
      In normal mode, the Apple logo appear and then crash with this reports:
      (Image 1 Attached)
      In verboose mode, the same with this report:
      (Image 2 Attached)
      What can i do to get it botable ?
      Thanks guys!!

• By Ztardust
      Just bought a new PC which I got on friday, and already now(monday), it is working perfectly and dual booting Windows 10 and El Capitan.
      Since it is working flawlessly, I would really like to know how you guys back up your systems... is there some good way of making backups of the entire internal disk in one go? Including both partitions and boot?
    • By Warmach1ne
      After I updated to 10.6.8, I was unable to boot properly. I booted my machine in verbose mode, and this showed up.

I used the boot flags PCIRootUID=1, npci=0x3000 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes.
    • By 0000-1248
      Hi everyone, sorry to bother you (again). I have an LG AN WF-100 Wireless dongle kicking around in the closet and I was wondering whether I could use this with Mac OS X (It would save me $10 which I know doesn't sound like much but it's money all the same). Are there any drivers for it? If so could you please share them with the community.
      Thanks in advance,
      - Matt