ATI 9600 PRO Install problem

BlackStorm

6 posts in this topic

I changed my video card from an ATI 9000 PRO All In Wonder to an ATI 9600 PRO 256MB DDR Memory AGP.

I have Callisto 003 installed and JaS's ATI Driver installed also.

I changed the Vendor ID in CallistoHAL.kext from 4966 (old video card) to 4152 (new video card) and then i could get more resolutions then 1024x768. I searched the forum to see how to get QE/CI enabled and it kept saying to edit my AtiRadeon9700Ga.plugin file or somethign like that but they never say ANYWHERE I am supposed to find them. So i figured it was the ATI Radeon mobility patch on JaS's 10.4.6 DVD and so I booted from that dvd and installed that patch and now i can't load up OSX86. =( I'm assuimg I jumped the gun there, but I really wanted to get this damn QE/CI working so i can use more then just firefox and a text editor. =( Any and all help would be nice, but I have noticed that it takes forever for someone to actually respond with helpful info. Sorry if I seem like an ass, I'm just mad that people can offer info but leave half of it out, like where a file that needs to be edited IS and/or HOW to get that file. Please assume I'm a total moron and draw out the biggest billboard picture for me as I will prolly need that. Thanks!

- Dustin

I have a AGP Radeon 9500 Pro.

With Callisto, is your card recognized as AGP? Mine is recognized as PCI.

As for the AtiRadeon9700Ga.plugin, it's in the Extensions folder along with all of the other plugins. I installed off of the JaS 10.4.6 DVD. If you don't have them, try going back to your install disc and making sure Radeon components were installed.

ok my card in an AGP as my post said, but I forgot to say that it was being recongnized as PCI.

I never had that plugin installed as I said in my post, and so i tried to install it off of JaS's 10.4.6 DVD and now I can't boot into OSX anymore. I get as far as the "Loading OS X" screen that is just before the user login screen and it just stops there.

I am wondering how I either disable the callisto drivers, the new ATI graphics drivers that I installed off of JaS's 10.4.6 DVD or JaS's ATI driver that I got from this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=23498

- Dustin

Perhaps because if you're not root (=System Administrator) you have not access to critical system files that sits in your System folder.

For access you have to use the Terminal and type 'sudo -s' (without the quotes) and then 'cd /System/Library/Extensions' and then to find what you want type 'ls -a' to see the content of this folder. You could also (after the 'sudo -s' type 'locate AtiRadeon9700Ga.plugin' to just see wether this file is present on your hd or not.