a few questions about my Hardware

Darth_Reven

2 posts in this topic

Hello all hackintoshers!

I wouldn't consider myself a complete noob, but I have been having a bit of trouble hackintoshing my Desktop computer. my little HP mini 210 was cake, except for QE.. but that is a matter for later =D

I have a 3-4 year old Alienware. it is an Aurora 7500 R4.. I think.. I have tried many different distro's and some will boot, some will crash right on boot. I am hoping I could get pointed in the correct direction, I will try to give as much detail as possible, if I missed anything please let me know =X

I guess I should caveat that I have some experience with OS X on Apple hardware mostly PPC most of my experience is with Linux

the hardware:

Nforce 590 SLI AMD

AMD athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2GHZ

5 GB ram

Nvidia 8800 GT

Basic USB keyboard mouse

Sound Blaster Audigy

I think an OB realtek HD audo

SATA DL-DVD Drive

as stated I have tried quite a few distros to name a few and there quirks

Hazard 10.6.1-10.6.2

Problem:

USB not working, wont boot "waiting for root device" on the SATA DVD drive

Tried:

Using IDE DVD drive, PS/2 keyboard mouse Result it would boot to the installer but no hard disks show up in disk utility.

that lead me to believe there was a lack of a SATA driver available for that Mobo. so I tried using an Old 20GB IDE hard disk ( I have many "atticware" computers lying around =P)

Result

after using the IDE dvd drive and IDE hard disk I was able to install the distro. however it would hang on perpetual boot. getting to the boot loader and reseting. not only that. it would Zap my BIOS settings. I don't know if that is a system of a larger problem or ??

After getting my BIOS zaped several times I hung it up for a time. now after getting my Mini up and running I want to return to my Desktop. perhaps the Guru's might have some insight onto what I am doing wrong. or maybe it wont work at all. although I hope that in not the case.

P.S merry Christmas!