[FIXED(?)]"Still waiting for root device" because of overclock?

nyolc8

3 posts in this topic

Hi! I have a strange problem:

I overclocked cpu to 3.0Ghz, then modified smbios.plist correctly to match FSB, MEM and Max Clock values. It worked perfectly.

Now I overclocked to 3.2Ghz, then modified smbios correctly, and boom "Still waiting for root device". It says can't find some "uuid root" stuff.

Why is this happening? Why it's working with 3.0 setting, but not with 3.2? And how is this related to cpu overclocking? I tested 3.2Ghz setting with Windows7, it's working perfectly, so it's not overheating issue.

I just don't understand this. :(

Can anyone help me with this?

Edit.: Fixed by using 3,19Ghz setting. Still don't understand why I get root device error with 3,2 setting :D

Okay, so I found out that PCI-E clock is the culprit. When I overclocked fsb on my mobo, it automatically overclocked the PCI-E too. If I lowered PCI-E manualy to 100Mhz(default) after overclocking, OSX starts up without problem on 3,5Ghz CPU setting. BUT then my sata drive not worked correctly, it hanged, I heard some strange noise from the hard drive... After this I had to clear the CMOS to even get the hard drive recognized in BIOS.

So, OSX's "Still waiting for root device" appears when the PCI-E clock is too far from 100Mhz. I just wanted to share this information :lol: