New to Hackint0sh Systems and trying to set one up.

cewong2

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm looking to test out installing my first Hackint0sh and have and old HP AMD Laptop I thought I would try it on. My friend gave me his old copies of Leopard and Snow Leopard since he got Lion and knew I wanted to try out OSX. I have been trying to find a guide that could help me do my install but I can't seem to find anything that is concise enough from what I've researched I'd like to install 10.6.8 of Snow Leopard, I have downloaded the Combo Update to prepare for that. But where to start I can't seem to find, there seems to be 40 different ways to start and and even more ways that it could end up. The specs of my laptop are as follows, and I have seen that other people have had success with AMD and Snow Leopard.

HP DV2415NR

AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-56

2GB Memory

I have a blank 60GB HDD which I plan to install onto, and don't care about dual boot (maybe down the line I'll work that out as I am currently using a 160GB in it)

Any direction and help would be greatly Appreciated!

Thanks.

I'm sorry I don't have any solutions. I am very new to the hackintosh scene as well, and it took me about a dozen failed installs before something stuck. My suggestion is to search around for a guide someone has put together for a similar machine, and try to follow that. The greatest strength of the hackintosh is also its greatest weakness - the variety of hardware.

Good luck!

Hey, I'm trying to get SL 10.6.8 but I keep failing. Still no replies on that thread yet.

Find out what hardware you have. This WILL help you when searching for or choosing kexts. If you don't know what they are, kexts are similar to drivers in Windows. I use Everest Ultimate Edition (discontinued, now known as AIDA64.)

Since you have a retail disc, you're more likely to be better off in tonymacx86's forum. The guys over there will help you on your way with retail discs.

Old hardware will probably work fine in Mac OS X - my ASUS P5LP-LE is unsupported, same for my Intel GMA 950 graphics and ALC888 sound however I managed to get them to work fine. And they run quicker than in Windows and Linux.

All I can say is: find the hardware, find the kexts if you can, get the best support then get going.

I build my first Hackintosh last year and the learning curve was steep. I finally happened upon a web site that is now long gone, which gave simplified instructions. It has been noted that utilizing the correct motherboard and video card are real lifesavers when building the hardware base for running MacOS X.

Current wisdom, for a simple get- going Hackintosh computer.

Intel based Gigabyte motherboards are most friendly to using Kakewalk (kakewalk.se) to install a retail installation disc of 10.6 or 10.7.