Can my Computer handle being a Hackintosh?

xNIN3

10 posts in this topic

I am VERY, VERY interested in making my computer a Hackintosh, and want to know if my computer can handle it, and want to know if my Hardware is compatible. But first, I need to know one thing (I am a noob), Will I be able to keep my Windows partition on my hard drive, as well as install Mac OS X on another partition. Anyway, here are my specs, taken from CPU-Z

Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.2 GHz

HP 304Ah Motherboard with Intel Chipset (if that really matters)

BIOS: HP 786H1 v01.02

Dual Channels 8GB DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 210 1024 MB

Also, I have a Cisco AM10 Valet Wireless adapter, does anyone know if that is able to work

That's pretty much it. Anyone who has information on whether this will work please let me know!

Please get back to me as soon as possible

It doesn't work like that. This is a public forum, people will reply when and if they feel like it.

Try installing OS X, then you can get back to us as soon as possible and tell us if it works or not!

It is much, much easier to install OSX to a separate hard drive.

• Like 1

Okay, just two more questions, I've seen and read many tutorials, and right before you are about to install OS X, you make a partition in disk utilities, if I make it say, 100 GB, and for some reason, everything screws up, will everything on my Hard Drive be ruined, or just the partition I made, and also do I need the actual retail CD or Snow Leopard, or can I burn that ISO to a cd?

If you already have Windows installed on the hard drive you cannot create or modify partitions on it with Apple Disk Utility. Disk Utility cannot work with NTFS partitions.

You need to use a partitioning tool (partition magic or similar) under Windows to create a new (empty, or FAT? not sure, google it) partition. This partition can then be formatted with HFS+J using Disk Utility so that you can install OS X on it, but you will not be able to resize this partition later.

Because it's an MBR drive you will not be able to install retail OS X on it without modifying the installer packages or using hacked install media that is already modified. Retail OS X will only install to a GUID partitioned drive.

This is why I recommended that you use a separate drive for OS X.

With a separate drive you simply boot, partition/format with Disk Utility and install. And you can use an unmodified retail DVD.

OS X is just like any other operating system in that regard. If the hardware responsible for driving the port where the drive is connected (USB, eSATA, SATA, PATA, Firewire what have you) is working, or can be made to work by installing additional drivers or tweaking BIOS settings, then it will work.

I am VERY, VERY interested in making my computer a Hackintosh, and want to know if my computer can handle it, and want to know if my Hardware is compatible. But first, I need to know one thing (I am a noob), Will I be able to keep my Windows partition on my hard drive, as well as install Mac OS X on another partition. Anyway, here are my specs, taken from CPU-Z

Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.2 GHz

HP 304Ah Motherboard with Intel Chipset (if that really matters)

BIOS: HP 786H1 v01.02

Dual Channels 8GB DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 210 1024 MB

Also, I have a Cisco AM10 Valet Wireless adapter, does anyone know if that is able to work

That's pretty much it. Anyone who has information on whether this will work please let me know!

Welcome to the forum!

You can install OS X without erasing your Windows partition, but it will wreck Windows. However, you can pull your data off the Windows partition, reinstall Windows, and move your data back. You may even be able to just reinstall Windows over the broken installation, but I've never tried that...

I have a Snow Leopard installation method here. If you want info on partitioning, PM me and I'll walk you through. :)

If you already have Windows installed on the hard drive you cannot create or modify partitions on it with Apple Disk Utility. Disk Utility cannot work with NTFS partitions.

You need to use a partitioning tool (partition magic or similar) under Windows to create a new (empty, or FAT? not sure, google it) partition. This partition can then be formatted with HFS+J using Disk Utility so that you can install OS X on it, but you will not be able to resize this partition later.

Because it's an MBR drive you will not be able to install retail OS X on it without modifying the installer packages or using hacked install media that is already modified. Retail OS X will only install to a GUID partitioned drive.

This is why I recommended that you use a separate drive for OS X.

With a separate drive you simply boot, partition/format with Disk Utility and install. And you can use an unmodified retail DVD.

Gparted seems to work the best for partitioning. I've used it many times and it works great.

As for retail on MBR, the OSx86 ModCD allows you to install retail OS X on an MBR scheme. I personally love the ModCD because it patches the installer on the fly, allowing for an easier installation.

xNIN3, I don't know what you mean about the retail Snow Leopard disc...if you mean download it, you can download a retail disc and burn it. Retail is the best way to go; don't use a distro.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As for retail on MBR, the OSx86 ModCD allows you to install retail OS X on an MBR scheme. I personally love the ModCD because it patches the installer on the fly, allowing for an easier installation.

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing. This should really be up in lights somewhere, I guess many people with only one hard drive use distros instead of retail. With ModCD they don't have to.