NVIDIA GTX580: Lion, Dual-Display = No Reboot/Shutdown

gxsolace

5 posts in this topic

Hi All -

Managed to get a reference NVIDIA GTX580 working (QE/CI/OpenCL/OpenGL) with Lion 10.7.2 but have one slight issue: With dual displays (both on DVI), the system no longer shuts down or reboots successfully. It'll go as far as turning off both displays, but the machine will not actually halt.

Does anyone have this issue and/or a solution to this?

Also, as another minor issue, I no longer have the spinning wheel during boot. I see the Apple logo but no spinning wheel, even though it boots successfully.

Using Chimera 1.6

Thanks!

Well, Im not at my computer to test this but heres a direction to go...Restart/Shutdown

Thats odd so, are you saying it works with one monitor?

And spinner might (not sure again can't test it yet) "I did find a simple work around though – if you add a VESA graphics mode to your boot plist it will boot normally, in revision 1203 this isn’t needed, but everything after that (that works) apparently needs it on _some_ graphics cards – the card I was testing with is a 9800GTX+. It shouldn’t need it but I recalled from a similar issue I ran into a couple years ago that it might be the case, and indeed it was"

MyHack blog

2 penny's worth

Well, Im not at my computer to test this but heres a direction to go...Restart/Shutdown

Thats odd so, are you saying it works with one monitor?

And spinner might (not sure again can't test it yet) "I did find a simple work around though – if you add a VESA graphics mode to your boot plist it will boot normally, in revision 1203 this isn’t needed, but everything after that (that works) apparently needs it on _some_ graphics cards – the card I was testing with is a 9800GTX+. It shouldn’t need it but I recalled from a similar issue I ran into a couple years ago that it might be the case, and indeed it was"

MyHack blog

2 penny's worth

Yeah, it works with one display attached, just not two.

About the spinner, it does boot normally, with or without "Graphics Mode" option. I just don't get the spinning wheel at the Apple logo boot screen -- but it does boot into the desktop without problems.

Have you tried using the kext's in the E/E that allow restart and halt instead of the org.chameleon.Boot.plist method that might solve it and disable or don't include restart fix in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist Yeah, you most likely know about this place but trying to help out

Yeah I tried kexts like EvOreboot, etc., but it doesn't solve the problem.

I never had this issue on my ATI Radeon HD 5870 with dual displays.

Only on this GTX 580.

But the reboot/shutdown problem goes away when I only have 1 display attached.

Strange!