Periodic DVD (SATA2) scans

winlog

7 posts in this topic

Try updating the DVD drive firmware. Could you post the full make and model of the drive?

Disabling sleep for hard drives works for me with my Lite-On DVD-RW drive, it stops checking for a disc.

One of my hard drives (a Samsung Spinpoint) makes a very distinct 'blip' sound when it parks its heads before entering standby, I can still hear it doing that with sleep for hard drives disabled.

The best solution is to get a Sony Optiarc drive, those are supposed to be the most compatible. Some models are probably more compatible than others though, I know some Optiarcs are rebadged drives from other manufacturers. I saw something somewhere about Mediatek vs. NEC chipset, I believe models with NEC chipset work better with OS X..but I could be wrong. Research and let us know what you find.

How to update LG? :rolleyes:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50:

Модель: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50

Ревизия: TN01

Серийный номер: K3F9A8N0309

Revision TN03 was found in the Network :) Will try to update

IIRC Master Chief came up with something in DSDT that fixed this issue, it's somewhere in this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188920

Keep looking until you find a post that specifically mentions the fix, it's there.

It involves a bit of DSDT patching to the SATA device + the drive must be connected to SATA port 2 (I don't remember if you count port 0, making that physically port 3). Good hunting.

If (when) you are ready to give in :grin: I'm pretty sure a Sony Optiarc 7260S will work well with OS X, according to cdrlabs.com it has a NEC MC-10045 chipset.