Bought a B&W G3/450 PowerMac

NTL1991

6 posts in this topic

So, after playing with OSx86 in VMware, I remember using my trusty iMac G3/333 so I bought a PowerMac G3/333 Blue and White. I am planning to put 10.4 Tiger on it. I have to do some upgrading first, though.

Specs:

Apple PowerMac G3 450Mhz

384MB RAM

10GB Hard Drive

CD-ROM Drive

ATI Rage 128Pro PCI Video Card

Mac OS 9

No Keyboard/Mouse

I have a 40GB Quantam HD that I am going to take out of my older Compaq Desktop and I have 3 sticks of 256MB PC133 SDRAM. Can I use this "standard PC-type" Hard Drive and RAM? I also want to (have to) upgrade the CD-ROM to a DVD-ROM or Combo. Can I install a "standard PC-type" ATAPI DVD-ROM drive? Can I use my old Compaq CRT Monitor too? I've only had a "totally all-in-one" iMac and I'm not familiar with the inside of a Mac.

Anything I can do to upgrade it (on the cheap)?

Nick

Congrats on the purchase. Yes you can use that standard SDRAM in your mac. You also should have no problem with the optical drives. I have a Dynex DVD drive in one bay on my beige, and a generic CD-RW in the 2nd. The CRT will also be no problem since the B/W uses VGA. Good luck!

You also should have no problem with the optical drives
So I shouldn't have problems with "Bootability" with a non-OEM DVD-ROM or Burner? I guess I choose the right one, I can use most of the stuff from my old Compaq like the Hard Drive, the RAM, Maybe the CD-RW.

Thanks for the Reply,

Nick

i know in oldworld macs some cd and dvd drives cant be booted, no idea if its the same with the B&W and other new world macs. may also be worth checking if you have a rev1 motherboard, they have trouble with using slave drives on the ide controller if i remember correctly.

If you are planning on using 256mb dimms they need to be double sided with 16chips, 8 each side or they will only show as 128mb, this is the same for all G3 macs and the first G4 tower (they used the same motherboard as the B&W).

a PCI geforce FX5200 is a nice upgrade for that system but not an easy thing to get to work, you need to find a standard PC card and flash it with a mac compatible bios but its the only way to get QE and CI.

You can check if your Burner is compatible here.

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

Hello. My SDRAM Chips are labled:

"Hi-Density Programmed"

"PCI133-32Mx4Bit"

All 3 are labeled like that and are 256MB Sticks. I also have another 8 chips per side on 2 sides RAM Module but I don't know the size. Do you have to install in pairs for this machine?

Thanks,

Nick