ASUS P5B - 10.4.7 boot problems from DVD

e.e

15 posts in this topic

I have an ASUS P5B with a Core 2 Duo 6300 and SATA drives and a PATA CDRom drive. I'm trying to boot the JAS 10.4.7 disk and I get the "mac.boot.plist not found" problem and I never get into the installer.

Here are the things i have tried:

- pressing F8, then -v, same error no additional info

- pressing F8, then -x, same error no additional info

- tried DVD on different computer - boots into installer

- tried burning DVD on different media, -r and +r, same error (all boot just fine within a VM though)

- tried different DVD ROM - Same Error

- tried disabling SATA and leaving only PATA controller enabled, IDE hard drive master, CDROM slave on same cable. Same error

- tried disabling SATA and leaving only PATA controller enabled, IDE hard drive master, CDROM slave on same cable, set by CS. Same error

- in BIOS changed SATA configuration to compatible, same error

- in BIOS changed SATA configuration to Enhanced, same error

- in BIOS changed SATA configuration to Enhanced, change SATA mode to IDE same error

- in BIOS changed SATA configuration to Enhanced, change SATA mode to AHPI same error

-- there's more but I can't remember them all

-- I have been trying to get 10.4.6 DVD off of torrent, I'm getting a solid 1.8K/sec download speed so I might get the full thing downloaded in 4 weeks :)

Any suggestions?

System specs

ASUS P5B Latest BIOS

Core 2 Duo 6300 (standard settings, not overclocked)

1GB DDR2 800Mhz Ram

ATI PCIx 1900GT

Western Digital 250GB SE16 SATAII drive

LG DVD-R+R RW drive

I bought today a P5B-Deluxe but I'm awaiting the Conroe 6600... it's still in travel.

So, did you can try a setup without any SATA drive attached? Just for testing, disable the internal SATA controllers then try to boot-up.

yes see point 6 and 7 from my earlier post. No workie.

Okay, what's more about your BIOS release?

Did you see the ROXR's reply?

For install os X on i965 board you need an DVD SATA configured as legacy ide in bios and plugged on the ich8 sata conectors.

Did you see the ROXR's reply?

Ya I just saw that, i don't have an SATA DVD drive only IDE, and I'm not sure I want to buy a $100+ SATA drvie to test it out. Can anyone collaborate ROXR's statement that we need a SATA DVD drive in order to install on 965 chipset?

I did see a $20 adapter that will allow the IDE DVD player to be installed on the SATA chain. I might pick that up to test it out.

latest BIOS 08/16/2006, unless a new version has been release since yesterday. You'll need to flash the P5B BIOS in order to get it to work properly with the Core 2 Duo.

Ya I just saw that, i don't have an SATA DVD drive only IDE, and I'm not sure I want to buy a $100+ SATA drvie to test it out. Can anyone collaborate ROXR's statement that we need a SATA DVD drive in order to install on 965 chipset?

I did see a $20 adapter that will allow the IDE DVD player to be installed on the SATA chain. I might pick that up to test it out.

latest BIOS 08/16/2006, unless a new version has been release since yesterday. You'll need to flash the P5B BIOS in order to get it to work properly with the Core 2 Duo.

There are DVD not expensives, http://www.alternate.de/html/productDetail...ml?artno=CEBU01

will be ideal to find a unit DVD SATA that compliments norm AHCI, Plextor doesn't do it

• 2 weeks later...

had the same problem, but the installation is working now with an external usb dvd drive.

is there a problem with the ide port? because my IDE HARDDISK isnt recognized in the disc utility while installing 10.4.7 Jas osx86. do i need an sata disc or cable?

btw: i was able to install on my usb hdd (or at least up to 32%, then it stopped ;))

got the asus p5b deluxe (as most of you in this thread, i think) ;)

Same system here and same problem...

Reading between the lines (posts?) it seems that it won't install on a P5B if you are using a SATA ODD and a SATA HDD....

You need to have a USB ODD :)

i DO have an usb dvd-drive and a PATA (not SATA) hdd. im a little bit confused right now... do i need an sata hdd or what?

Don't think any of you will be able to run Mac OS X on a P5B mobo (atleast not the deluxe version), I've been testing all day with PATA and SATA disks and CD's with no success, PATA (HDD and CD) was a total no-go and with SATA (HDD and SATA-CD) I came to the famous "Still waiting for root device". I can confirm though that installation using USB HDD and CD is working.

Edit:

Might aswell add that I was using version 10.4.6.

I have an ASUS P5B with a Core 2 Duo 6300 and SATA drives and a PATA CDRom drive. I'm trying to boot the JAS 10.4.7 disk and I get the "mac.boot.plist not found" problem and I never get into the installer.

Here are the things i have tried:

- pressing F8, then -v, same error no additional info

- pressing F8, then -x, same error no additional info

- tried DVD on different computer - boots into installer

- tried burning DVD on different media, -r and +r, same error (all boot just fine within a VM though)

- tried different DVD ROM - Same Error

- tried disabling SATA and leaving only PATA controller enabled, IDE hard drive master, CDROM slave on same cable. Same error

- tried disabling SATA and leaving only PATA controller enabled, IDE hard drive master, CDROM slave on same cable, set by CS. Same error

- in BIOS changed SATA configuration to compatible, same error

- in BIOS changed SATA configuration to Enhanced, same error

- in BIOS changed SATA configuration to Enhanced, change SATA mode to IDE same error

- in BIOS changed SATA configuration to Enhanced, change SATA mode to AHPI same error

-- there's more but I can't remember them all

-- I have been trying to get 10.4.6 DVD off of torrent, I'm getting a solid 1.8K/sec download speed so I might get the full thing downloaded in 4 weeks :censored2:

Any suggestions?

System specs

ASUS P5B Latest BIOS

Core 2 Duo 6300 (standard settings, not overclocked)

1GB DDR2 800Mhz Ram

ATI PCIx 1900GT

Western Digital 250GB SE16 SATAII drive

LG DVD-R+R RW drive

hock the CD/DVD with a HD cable to the MOBO