Screen Freezes in Lion, Snow with ATI 2xxx,3xxx series

vopros-otvet

5 posts in this topic

Hey! I've learned that there is a problem with ATI 2000 & 3000 series in Lion & Snow Leo. The matter is there is a bug in AtiRadeonx2000GLDriver.bundle.

For example 10.6.7 has gray screen without cursor, 10.6.8 has black screen with printed cursor & white artefacts in top of the screen. Lion Has gray screen & fully working cursor (there is even a "waiting" cursor appearing when for example CD is present in CD-ROM). Doesn't work only main working space.

But there is no problem with 4000-th series who also uses this AtiRadeonX2000.kext for QE.

Where is the problem? Maybe in framebuffers? I have ATI Mobility 2400 & use Iago FB (what is for rv610 series).

Is it possible to use some other FB?

I also wonder what differences are between 2000-th & 4000-th series?

Looking through ATI2400Controller & ATI4600Controller I noticed, that 4600 controller reads needed settings directly from vbios. ATI2400Controller uses fixed parameters. all GetXXXX functions return fixed values.

There's also noticeable that 2400 controller matches card by name (IONameMatch - pci1002,94c8), but 4600 controller use IOPCIMatch with values like this: 0x95801002 & s.o.

Maybe the problem is in bios.

• 4 weeks later...

I can be wrong, but it seems to me, that the reason of not supporting QE for those cards is that those old cards are "wired" through ATINDRV, whitch contain Older Framebuffers. But ATI4XXXController.kext contains all needed framebuffers inside.

So i think, that the reason is in ATINDRV. I remember that Iago (for example) didn't work with internal screen. But when i've added override for this display, - it just worked (i'm speaking about 10.5.8 Leo).

Maybe this is the reason...

uuuuu... If i found a solution i wrote my method here... I need some help from smart people )) Now i try to understand why those cards are not working... It seems to me, that the solving lays in patching ATIRadeonX2000.kext... I think it simply tries to turn on CL whitch is not supporting by older cards... I found that on the contrary of 10.5.8 it registers to IOREG 5 classes R600surface instead of 3 ones in Leopard... Maybe 2 of them are unnecessary.

adding override brings no result ))