Will i be able to do this?

zoink

3 posts in this topic

First of all these are the specs of my laptop, just in case it helps...

Toshiba R25

Intel Core Duo T2050 / 1.6 GHz

1 GB DDR II SDRAM - 533 MHz - PC2-4200

100 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm

Intel GMA 950

Intel Pro/100 VE

Realtek ALC262

I currently have OSX 10.4.6 running off of my external HD, with everything working but sound, but I am unsatisfied with the slow load and boot times. I want to be able to boot osx and win XP off of my main hard drive, but i don't want to lose any of my current files...is this possible using Norton Partition Manager? Can i just resize and re-arrange the partitions so my data is saved but i get the configuration i want?

I drew this up to maybe clairfy a little more

plannedOSX.jpg

My main concerns are being able to boot both OSs because the osx installation will be on the drive before the XP installation and keep all of my current information on the harddrives.

You can repartition Disk1 to make place for osx, but i suggest not moving the winxp partition, winxp might not like it.

You can place osx after the winxp partition, in a primary partition. If you want to boot from osx first, make the osx partition active, and the darwin bootloader will take care of the rest (hopefully).

Disk 2 you can do as you like.

I don't know about that norton product, but it surely has a manual.

Well, i thought i read that the OS X installation had to be on the first part of the drive for it to boot right ...i originally had it configured on my external HD so that OSX came after my storage space for win XP, and it wouldn't boot, but i could be wrong, or maybe i misread :/