Weird graphics boot?

jnxjn

8 posts in this topic

Yea so the only time i can actually fully boot onto osx is if i restart multiple times.

After the apple logo, the screen turns a blank grey screen. The audio still works though.

And also i can only boot if i use the -legacy flag. I am booting off [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy.

So im guessing theres something up with the graphics if everything else was working.

What do you guys think?

Oh and on a side note, i still get "the hybernate image is to old by xxxx seconds". I don't know if that's relevant at all but yea as long as it's not actually messing up my laptop i can live with it.

And thanks in advance!

It might help to post some system information.

Are you using any other launch options? Have you tried setting GraphicsEnabler to Yes/No?

Did you recently do an update, or has this always happened?

Hopefully we can help you out!

Im using a compaq presario a900 laptop with an intel gmax3100 graphics and intel965 chipset.

It has always been like this so i try to not turn it off.

boot options like boot flags im guessing?

If so then yea i tried cpus=1 and cpus=2. Same problem with both.

If i dont put any boot flags I get kernel panic

-f is also the same.

Btw sorry if this is a really noob question, but how do i set graphics enabler to yes?

Thanks

You can set Graphics Enabler to yes by adding the boot command:

GraphicsEnabler=Yes

or if you want to disable it:

GraphicsEnabler=No

Also, you can try adding:

arch=i386

To your launch options, this fixed a lot of the issues I used to have with my Hackintosh.

It works but it's still kinda weird how it boots up.. Here's some results with the flags

GraphicsEnabler=Yes - boots with blank grey screen. then hold down the power button to shut it off

GraphicsEnabler=No - boots with black screen. hold down power button

arch=i386 - works hold down power button

arch=i386 -boots with blank grey screen hold down power button

arch=i386 - works hold power button

GE=Yes arch=i386 -works "proper" shutdown procedure. like apple then shutdown

GE=Yes arch=i386 - boots with blank grey screen hold down power button

GE=Yes arch-i386 -works im still logged in.

So my solution to booting up is now to shutdown using the power button then booting with the graphics enabler and arch=i386 flag.

Thanks for your suggestions for the boot options they do work! ( for now. i haven't dont a second test yet)

Also if you have another solution i can try to not have to do this ritual, it would be much appreciated

I'm glad that some progress has been made :)

You can have the working boot flags apply themselves at launch without you typing them in. In your /Extra folder [at the base of your Macintosh hard-drive], you should find a file either called com.apple.boot.plist or org.chameleon.boot.plist. If you can't find these files or the /Extra folder, they might be hidden; you can use a tool like this one to show and hide hidden files and folders (The one linked might come up with an error after running it, but it should've still worked). Once you're in your /Extra folder and have located one of the above files, open it in TextEdit. If it comes up with an error about how you don't have permission, right-click the file, click "Get Info", and in the bottom-right of the new window there should be a lock. Click this, type in your password, and then under the "Privilege" section, change "everyone"'s to "Read & Write". Click the lock again, and then reopen the file; it should open automatically in TextEdit.

Now all you need to do is find the section that says:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>*your existing boot flags</string>

Change the string value to the values that worked for you:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>

*Edit*

If you see a key in the file called Graphics Enabler, you can just change the associated key value to No. Otherwise, just ignore this and follow the above procedure:

<key>Graphics Enabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</arch>

*End of edit*

Save the file, close everything, rerun the tool to hide hidden files (if you had to use it), and reboot. Your bootloader will detect the settings that you typed in the file, and boot-up using them. It's a kinda tricky process, but if you get it, it saves you from typing your Boot Flags every time you turn your computer on :)

If you have anymore issues or anymore questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks! I'll try this once im done writing my papers.

And I'll let you know if something screws up lol.

But yea thanks so much again for your help. Restarting 2+ times to make it boot is such a pain in the ass

• 2 weeks later...

My laptop is booting up retardedly again.

Even with the GraphicsEnabler=Yes arch=i386 -legacy, I boot into a grey screen till i shut down and then restart then it is able to boot fine.

Any ides on why this is happening?