Should OSx86 Work For Me and Install w/ SATA2?

NTL1991

5 posts in this topic

Hello. I am downloading the JaS Mac OS X 10.4.6 DVD so I can have it for tomorrow. I just built my new PC and I'm wondering if everything should go fine.

Specs:

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Motherboard (Onboard Sound and LAN)

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice Core

1GB (2x512MB) Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 DDR RAM

200GB Caviar SATA2 Hard Drive

40GB Quantum Fireball IDE Hard Drive

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1300 PCIe Graphics Card

LG GSA-4166B DVD+/-RW

Compaq OEM DVD-ROM

Also, I have Windows XP SP2 Installed, How would I install it? Do I HAVE to install it on the IDE Drive? If so, should I be looking out for anything during Setup so I don't erase Data from my SATA2 Drive? Or, can I install it on a SATA2 Hard Drive?

Thanks,

Nick

This is from the Wiki hardware compatibility list for 10.4.6, in which one can find at least two comments about the sata problem:

To make SATA work, edit AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and use this id 0x528810B9 in the VIA SATA controller section and in the AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist in the ICH7MAHCI section.

Well, ok this seems daunting, but at least it tells us that this modification should be done after the install. So most probably you should install on your PATA drive, and later make the modification to support you sata drive.

As for installing along winxp in dual boot, there are many threads about this at insanelymac; check the GeniusBar section and the OSX Installation section.

Check the wiki link above for other issues about your hardware.

Thanks for the info. The ver I am downloadig is 10.4.6 and I got 8 hours left... But my DVD Burner has crapped out and until I get a new one, I can only play with OSx86 in VMware. I'll look around some more for {censored} and giggles.

Thanks Again,

Nick