Tutorial Install Lion 10.7.x On Dell Xps M1210

blindjackal

17 posts in this topic

DELL XPS M1210 (MXC062)  Mac OS X 10.7.x Lion

This is my configuration:

✔ CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz (2 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB) (Intel 82801G ICH7 Family) with speedstep

✔ RAM: Kingston HyperX Performance SO-DIMM 4 Go (Kit 2x 2 Go) DDR2-SDRAM PC5300 CL4 - KHX5300S2LLK2/4G

✔ Graphics: NVidia GeForce Go 7400 TurboCache (G72M) (256Mb) with QE/CI and even brightness control

✔ Sleep: usually works, but there are problems with wake - any ideas? NEW : Since 10.7.5 sleep works !!! :trumpet:

✔ Audio: Sigmatel STAC9220 with int/ext speakers & ext microphone

✔ Wi-Fi: sorry, swap yours bad-ass Intel 3945ABG with cheap Broadcom BCM4328 802.11ABGN FastMac (Broadcom BCM94321MC)

✔ LAN: Broadcom 4401 10/100 probably works, I used this last time at Snow Leopard

✔ Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR) works

✔ CardReader: Ricoh R5C822 - works

✔ ExpressCard: works

✔ FireWire: Ricoh R5C832 IEEE 1394 @ 400 MHz - works

✔ Storage: Intel X25-M SATA SSD 120 GB - works

✔ Optical: 8x NEC DVD±RW ND-6650A Dual Layer with firmware 103D (RPC1) - works

✔ Keyboard: yup, with multimedia front key buttons

✔ Touchpad: works with tapping and horizontal/vertical scrolling (Install Smart Scroll app - smooth and easy iPhone-like scrolling!!!)

✔ Mouse: Apple Magic Mouse - works

What you will need:

1 - Working Mac OS X (may be another PC or Mac)

2 - USB drive (USB stick)

3 - Lion DMG

Make a USB stick according to the procedures here :

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=256729

01 - Open Disk Utility, select the USB drive partition and click on the Erase tab. Select Mac Os Extended (Journaled) and click on the Erase button.

02 - Mount InstallESD.dmg (*InstallESD.dmg Lion GM --> "Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport".)

03 - Open Terminal and run the command:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

04 - Now click on the Restore tab, drag Mac OS X Base System to Source and the USB drive partition to Destination, then click on the Restore button. This operation takes several minutes.

The partition will have its name changed automatically to Mac OS X Base System after the restoration.

05 - After the restoration, open the restored partition, navigate to System/Installation, delete the Packages link and create a folder with the same name, Packages.

06 - Open Terminal and run the command:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages

07 - Copy the files to the Packages folder created previously.

08 - Run the installers "Extra_Lion_DP4.pkg" and "Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1083.pkg". Remember to click on Change Install Location... and select the USB drive as destination, or they will be installed on the running system.

09 - With the installer USB ready, boot it and install Lion to an HD partition with options -v cpus=1 (press space bar)

10 - Create a partition with the utility disc then launch the installation

11 - After the installation, boot the USB drive again, but in Chameleon menu choose to boot the HD with options -v cpus=1

The system is running, but it doesn't boot without the USB stick, then we have to install the bootloader (Chameleon), the essential kexts and the DSDT

12 - Install Extra_Lion_DP4.pkg, Extra_Folder.pkg and Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1083.pkg

13 - Install the kexts with Kext Utility (2.5.0b2) : VoodooHDA (2.7.2) - VoodooBattery - VoodooTSCSync - VoodooSDHC

14 - Put the files com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist and dsdt.aml in /Extra folder

15 - Reboot and enjoy !!!

xpsm1210Lion_0.3.zip

I installed the Update 10.7.1 successfully!

Update online 10.7.1, then reboot.

If you have problem with sound, uninstall VoodooHDA then reinstall it.

Simply open up Terminal and type :

voodoohda-uninstall

then type in your admin password; the uninstall script will do the rest

Reinstall VoodooHDA (2.7.2)

Reboot and enjoy !!!

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the Update 10.7.2 successfully!

Uninstall VoodooHDA 2.7.2 then install VoodooHDA 2.7.3 (if not Kernel Panic !).

Simply open up Terminal and type :

voodoohda-uninstall

then type in your admin password; the uninstall script will do the rest

Reboot

Update online or UpdateCombo 10.7.2, then reboot.

Install VoodooHDA 2.7.3 with Kext Utility (in attached file on first post).

Reboot and enjoy !!! :)

• 3 months later...

hello i followed your guide and i finally had some results.

my 1210 has the intel gma950 graphic.

can i modify the speedstep configuration to undervolt the system?

i'ts run at 60 degree in stand by too hot 4 me.

thank you.

hello i followed your guide and i finally had some results.

my 1210 has the intel gma950 graphic.

can i modify the speedstep configuration to undervolt the system?

i'ts run at 60 degree in stand by too hot 4 me.

thank you.

Sorry, I am not enough qualified to do that !!

I'm currently using 10.6.8 on my m1210, but I've been unable to get 64-bit kernel to boot. I have 2 questions for you:

1 - Is your 10.7.3 running in 64-bit

2 - I see that you have 4GB of RAM, what does Activity Monitor display for memory size when you select System Memory at the bottom of the main screen?

Thanks for this great post.

Doc

10.7.2 on xps m1210 with gm950 graphics everything works well .

i installed coolbook controller and work fine maybe better then speedstep.

i have only problems with sleep , if i close lid or put machine in sleep pressing on/off button +s i can't recovery and i have to switch off to reboot.

anyone have a solution?

thank you.

10.7.2 on xps m1210 with gm950 graphics everything works well .

i installed coolbook controller and work fine maybe better then speedstep.

i have only problems with sleep , if i close lid or put machine in sleep pressing on/off button +s i can't recovery and i have to switch off to reboot.

anyone have a solution?

thank you.

Hello,

I have the same problem... :help:

I'm currently using 10.6.8 on my m1210, but I've been unable to get 64-bit kernel to boot. I have 2 questions for you:

1 - Is your 10.7.3 running in 64-bit

No 32-bit, It seems to me that it is because of the graphic card, because in verbose mode, everything works well and at the time to launch the graphic card, it freeze...

[quote

]

2 - I see that you have 4GB of RAM, what does Activity Monitor display for memory size when you select System Memory at the bottom of the main screen?

Thanks for this great post.

Doc

post-170791-0-79849900-1329652274_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

Just updated my hackintosh laptop to 10.7.4. Unfortunately, it encountered a [PCI configuration begin] hang…

While the system kext regression is never optimal, as a temporary or possibly permanent solution, roll back (revert) the latest

10.7.4 AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.5 to the 10.6.x AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.5.

- Simply update online or install UpdateCombo 10.7.4.

- Before rebooting, replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.5 by AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.5.

in /System/Library/Extensions.

- Reboot and enjoy !!! :king:

AppleACPIPlatform_1.3.5.kext.zip

• 4 months later...

Just updated my hackintosh laptop to 10.7.5. Unfortunately, it encountered a [PCI configuration begin] hang…

This is the same procedure as 10.7.4 :

Roll back (revert) the latest 10.7.5 AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.5 to the 10.6.x AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.5.

- Simply update online or install UpdateCombo 10.7.5.

- Before rebooting, replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.5 by AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.5.

in /System/Library/Extensions.

- Reboot and enjoy !!!

:king:

NEW : Since 10.7.5 sleep works !!!

:trumpet:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a heck of a time getting this working. I followed the instructions and get everything installed. I then followed the steps at the very beginning before worrying about upgrades yet. It ends up crashing during the final boot and the message is behind the "You must restart" error, but I believe it has something to do with the VoodooHDA. After that I can't even boot into the OS with the USB drive.

What is the best way to get up and running with 10.7.5 and skip the in between? Should I do the Lion install, then immediately install the 10.7.5 combo update? And if I do that, which of all the included files should I still be installing?

Thanks for the guide.

OK, here is what I tried. I found out my Lion image is 10.7.3 since I bought it a while after it was out already. So I took these steps:

1. Installed 10.7.3

2. Booted in and installed Extra_Lion_DP4.pkg, Extra_Folder.pkg and Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1083.pkg

3. Used the Kext Utility to install VoodooBattery, VoodooTSCSync, and VoodooSDHC. I did not install the VoodooHDA

4. Copied over just the com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist files to /Extra

When I reboot, I get a panic:

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (167.3)[E7A581F5-68AD-40A7-9044-10DBAE790332]@0X47cd6000->0X47d00fff

This is even if I boot with -v cpus=1

• 2 years later...

bindjackal, I have 10.7.4 using your guide.....thanx.  I have a couple things not working or not optimal:

-nvidia geforce go 7400 seen as 3MB generic video card(what kext you using?)

-webcam not working....have had any luck with yours?

Here is a couple of insights I can add.

-The dstl file causes VoodooHDA kernel panic- just don't use it.

-Updating from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3/10.7.4 you MUST revert back to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement version 1.3.5

(you need to down grade with Kext utility immediately after the 10.7.3 update before you reboot, then again after 10.7.4 update)

-Tried to update to 10.7.5 but no luck.... all I get is a blank screen with the cursor arrow.

-I got the internal ethernet working..found the broadcom kext for the 440X NIC.

-Must use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or you will get AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement panic like Tamerz above.

I'll be doing a full writeup with all the updated KEXT files.  My m1210 laptop runs very well with only 3GB of ram.  It was unusable with windows 7.  New life for the little tank!