Editing OS X files from Linux

JohnFM3

5 posts in this topic

I need to edit my /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist back to arch=i386. My system is a dual boot with 64 bit Linux installed beside OS X. So I tried arch=x86_64, which now prevents the system from booting. Within linux, I can open the drive, but am unable to write the changes to the file.

Any suggestions on how to make the partition writeable?

The drive break down is 2 partitions for OS X (1 EFI an 1 HFS I think). An 2 partitions for Linux (both Ext4).

John

After unmounting the mac partition, I mounted with the following command...

mount -t hfsplus -o force -o rw /dev/sda2 /media/test

... an I was able to save my changes to the file. I am going to reboot now an see what happens.

John

So after editing the file, I was able to boot the system an felt it was safe to re install the network drivers. Now the system wont boot an I had to hard shutdown the Mac OS X system. Now I can only mount the OS X system drive as read only as linux complains about needing to run fsck.

Any ideas?

John

So after installing some hfs tools, I was able to run fsck.hfsplus. Even though fsck reported failed, the partition mounted in rw which allowed me to make changes. I deleted the network drivers an did a verberose boot, an found it stopping on AppleAPCI??????? (dont recall the rest of the file). Was unable to load kext.

For next time, the com.apple.boot.plist is only there to save time not having to type flags in at the bootloader at each bootup.

So you could have just typed arch=i386 at bootloader and booted in, then made the permanent change to com.apple.boot.plist. You can use arch=i386 in the same way as -v, -x or -f flag at boot.

Try boot with -x and -f flags.