JaS 10.4.7 on an IBM X60

data1ore

7 posts in this topic

So here's what I got after risking an installation on the same hdd but different partition.

I began with an XP installation on a partition of 30gb. Carved out 20gb and formatted it as HFS+, before gg on to install the package w/ SSE3 and the 10.4.7 patches. Installation was done out of a USB DVD/CD-RW (Teac DW-224 which is supported).

After the installation, the Mac OS wouldn't boot without the install DVD in the drive. I simply get a "Missing Operating System" in a DOS-like screen.

So I used GParted and set my XP partition (Partition 1) back to active. Followed the instructions to run debug and edit boot.ini with the chain0 thing. Rebooted and tried to dualboot to OSX. I ended up getting an error message regarding some missing windows dll :blink:

Now I'm reduced to setting the active partition each time I want to get into OSX. OSX also doesn't recognize my inbuilt wireless (nothing shows in profile, although people say it's a problem with the intel one), no battery is installed, and I don't get sound (SoundMax). However ethernet, dual core, QE works. It's quite satisfying especially when my workplace environment does not allow for apple computers (government standard operating environments and all that BS).

If anyone has any insights into my dual booting issues / driver issues, I'm eternally grateful. Also, if anyone has any questions on how to get it up on an IBM laptop, I could offer a (limited) word or two. :)

The hal.dll error means you screwed up your boot.ini file.

Setting the timeout parameter will force the Darwin (OSX) bootloader to appear.

Set the OSX partition active and boot into OSX.

Edit the boot.plist file at "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" and add the following:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

You can edit the file by dragging it to the Desktop and editing it with TextEdit, then dragging it back, answering the 2 resulting dialogs - Authenticate and yes to replace, then followed by using Disk Utility to repair permissions on the OSX partition.

Or you can do it via Terminal with this command:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Battery - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=14912

Wireless - what model?

Soundmax - what model?

Thanks Rammjet. You're a saviour.

So far, I've fixed the battery problem, and gotten dual boot to work. However, when I select my mac partition to boot from, I get another round of Darwin's bootloader. Kinda irritating. Any ideas on how to fix this?

In addition, I realized that it doesn't mount one of my external usb enclosures. Last I remembered, it's a FW 400/USB2 Oxford 9xx chipset. However, my other FW800/400/USB2 enclosure works just fine.

when I select my mac partition to boot from, I get another round of Darwin's bootloader. Kinda irritating. Any ideas on how to fix this?

If I interpret this correctly, you enabled the Darwin bootloader by adding the "timeout" parameter to boot.plist and you corrected your boot.ini file so that Chain0 is working correctly, so that now when you select OSX from Chain0, you also have to select OSX from Darwin.

My recommendation is to remove the Chain0 line from your boot.ini file, then set the OSX partition active and use the Darwin bootloader.

In addition, I realized that it doesn't mount one of my external usb enclosures. Last I remembered, it's a FW 400/USB2 Oxford 9xx chipset. However, my other FW800/400/USB2 enclosure works just fine.

See if your FW400/USB2 enclosure has a firmware update available.