10.6.8 on GA-Z68X-UD5 with ATI 6870

dj_krypt

3 posts in this topic

Hi All,

A few weeks ago I decided it was time to build a new rig and upgrade from my older GA-P35-DS3 based system. I settled on the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5 and a Gigabyte ATI 6870. This hardware set was recommended on tonymac's site as one of the "customac" builds.

I will never be using a guide or resource from the tonymac site again. I doubt this configuration was tested by them and if I could do it all over again I would have chosen a different hardware set. Also that stupid apple logo of theirs with the eyes is {censored} and annoying. :) That said, I spent a few nights (about 10) reading up and performing failed builds but now have a stable system.

I first tried Lion however I had the BIOS reset issue after sleep and reboot so i decided to go for 10.6.8 which is fine for my needs in a recording studio. I still don't have sleep but at least i can reboot without resetting the bios.

NOTE: I am not using onboard audio so I have not tested it and I have disabled it in BIOS.

What you will need:

- Hackboot v7 boot CD

- 10.6.0 retail install disk

- 10.6.8 combo update package

- Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1083 installer package

- Realtek 2.0.6 gigabit ethernet installer package

- DSDT for the board (I created my own by grabbing the DSDT from within windows and patching using autopatcher)

- Imac 12.1 system definition file (Not sure if this is required).

Here is my guide:

Firstly set the following parameters in BIOS:

- Load optimised defaults

- Set AHCI on all interfaces

- Set HPET to 64bit

1) Boot from Hackboot v7 boot CD, once at bootloader screen insert 10.6.0 install disk, wait about 20 seconds and press F5 to display the 10.6.8 disk.

2) Select the 10.6.0 install disk.

3) Once in the OSX installer environment use Disk Utility to partition your drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and set GUID scheme

3) Install OSX

4) Once finished reboot with Hackboot v7 boot CD in your drive and this time, once at the bootloader select new OSX installation.

5) After loading into OSX set a password when prompted and complete the remainder of the wizard you get when OSX is loaded for the first time.

6) Delete ACPI_SMC_Platform family plugin.kext (which you can find by browsing to S/L/E/IOPlatformplugin family.kext and selecting "show package content"). I found this was necessary to avoid kernel panic when performing the 10.6.8 update.

7) Launch terminal and type "sudo touch /system/library/extensions" without the quotes. (You may be prompted for credentials and this is why we set a password in step 5).

8) Repair permissions using Disk Utility and reboot.

9) Repeat step 4

10) Install 10.6.8 combo update but DONT REBOOT

11) Install Chameleon, Place DSDT and system definition in /extra

12) Repair permissions using disk utility (not sure if this is critical)

13) Reboot this time without the hackboot disk as you should now have a bootable installation

14) Install Realtek ethernet package for network

15) Enjoy

Issues I still have to iron out (I have disabled sleep till I find a solution):

- No sleep. system attempts to sleep however wakes up instantly with error message saying USB drives were not ejected gracefully.

- No firewire connection to my audio interface (Presonus Studio Live) after sleep

Dual monitor is working with GE=Yes however only one DVI port is working. I used a HDMI to DVI adapter for my second monitor.

I have attached my plist for reference.

If this sparks some interest and has some value for people I will rework the guide for clarity. I welcome any suggestions or improvements.

Cheers from down under.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just wanted to say that I could not get osx to install (I have the exact same board) until i came across this post - thankyou for your guide. Have you got sound working yet tho? I cant get it to work.

I did however do things a little differently for those with the same board but having trouble with dj_krypt's steps.

For me the chameleon boot loader would not work, I used the f7 dsdt from tonymacx86 (and it did not make any difference/work), and I couldnt find the definition file you used. I also used SL 10.6.4 install disk (instead of 10.6.0).

To overcome this, I followed dj_krypts steps all the way until after

5) After loading into OSX set a password when prompted and complete the remainder of the wizard you get when OSX is loaded for the first time.
and did this:

Ran UpdateHelper found on tonymacx86, then restart (boot with HackBoot).

Ran ComboUpdate 10.6.8 DONT RESTART.

Opened up tonymacx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and selected ONLY System Defs>iMac>iMac 12,1 and System Utilities

(At this step if you want you can also select Bootloaders>Chimera v1.4.1 r877 - although I did it later on as I tried to install chameleon but it didnt work).

(Fix USB) - Reboot into OSX Install Disc (using hackboot) and when loaded Utilities>Terminal.

Note: I installed SL onto a partition named OSX, exchange that with the name of your partition. To find out in terminal just go

cd /Volumes/
then
ls
and it should show you the mounted partitions - yours isnt the folder named after the install disk

delete 10.6.8 USB kexts -

rm -R /Volumes/OSX/System/Libraries/IOUSBFamily.kext
rm -R /Volumes/OSX/System/Libraries/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

copy 10.6.4 USB kexts -

cp -R /Volumes/(name of install disk)/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext /Volumes/OSX/System/Libraries/IOUSBFamily.kext
cp -R /Volumes/(name of install disk)/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext /Volumes/OSX/System/Libraries/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

Quit terminal and go into disk utility and repair disk permissions on your HDD.

Reboot, if you installed chimera you shouldnt need HackBoot, if you did not you will.

Boot with the boot flag -f to force the new USB kexts to load.

install bootloader if you havent, and install realtek 2.0.6 found on the realtek website (the board has a r8111E chip).

I have a Asus GTS 250 gfx card, but used the evfx kext found on kexts.com and it worked fine after reboot.

Thats it. Except for sound as mentioned at the top, cant get it to work as of yet.

• 2 months later...
I settled on the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5 and a Gigabyte ATI 6870. This hardware set was recommended on tonymac's site as one of the "customac" builds.

I will never be using a guide or resource from the tonymac site again. I doubt this configuration was tested by them and if I could do it all over again I would have chosen a different hardware set. Also that stupid apple logo [...]

never could say it better

happened to me...same hardware...same misleading...same needs...same disappointment

unfortunately ...not same skills in working it out

painfully missing my 10.6.7...I will tattoo "Don't fix whats working fine"

already hate lion, someone said it better: is the 'vista' of apple

so, let me ask you

is there any change/news in your guide?

could you post your dsdt [what bios version]?

could you post the extra-kext package?

i don't know if you noticed, but your thread is the only one in the world concerning snow leopard on z68x-ud5

[questions are also for d3m3tr1x]

thank you