[Lion] Overclocked i7-2600K + GA-P67A-UD7-B3 + 470GTX HDMI Audio/Video

smsaim

7 posts in this topic

My Lion Success story! :D

Only thing that doesn't work is SLEEP, which I don't really care for so no big loss.

I keep my computer running, and if I do shut it down, it takes 30 seconds to boot to the desktop off the SSD.

If you really want sleep on this motherboard, DSDT edits are the answer. (not kexts)

My almost Dead Silent Build:

Corsair 650D Midtower Case

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 (Rev. 1.0)

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.8GHz (1.44v)

eVGA 470 GTX @ 825MHz (1150mv)

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) @ 1600MHz (1.6v 8-8-8-12 1T)

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD (SATA3) [Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit]

Corsair P128 120GB SSD (SATA2) [OSX Lion]

Corsair 750watt AX750 Professional Gold PSU

Sony 55" LED TV (HDMI to mini-HDMI on video card)

Watercooling Components: (if you follow this stuff)

XSPC 750 Dual Rad Pump (7v mod - very quiet!)

XSPC Rasa RS240 Rad (1150 RPM Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-14) [Pull]

EK CoolStream XTC 140mm Rad (Fractal Design Silent Series 140MM Ultra Quiet) [Pull]

Stock Corsair Exhaust 120mm Fan (5v mod)

EK-Supreme HF Performance- Full Copper Rev 3.0 CPU Block

EK-FC470 GTX Reference Design GPU Block- Acetal (Copper)

XSPC 7/16" ID 5/8" OD Black High Flex Tube

250mm KillCoil - Coiled up and placed in Resevoir across from pump intake

Random sound dampening pads here and there

Temps:

CPU: Idle 37c / Ambient 25c / Load 64c(Prime95) / Load 74c (IntelBurnTest)

GPU: Idle 39c / Load 51c

th_sean222_1.jpgth_sean222_2.jpgth_sean222_3.jpgth_sean222_4.jpg

OS Installation:

- Buy Lion from App Store in SL and get/locate the .app

- Mount .dmg (many guides on this) and use myHack to get Lion on USB drive (clean install).

- Add npci=0x2000 to com.apple.boot.plist to get past being stuck at Apple Logo

- After clean install, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (chimera, fakesmc, fakesmc plugins, realtek 2.06 ethernet, voodooHDA 0.2.1, Mac Pro 3,1, generate CPU states, 64-bit apple boot screen)

- Kext Utility ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] System Utilities gave 'Installation Failed')

- Native 470 GTX drivers in Lion. Full QE/CI enabled by default.

- HDMI Audio, follow my post on getting HDMI Audio working with the 470 GTX

- Enable TRIM for SSDs following this guide. Thanks to Grant Pannell.

- SteerMouse to enable mouseover problems with USB mice

And that's it. A fully working Lion install! Very fast too.

Hope this helps someone and thanks for looking.

*No need to post my files. DSDT from tonymacx86 database, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] options mentioned above, just add npci=0x2000 to com.apple.boot.plist to get past PCI Configuration hang. That's it.

post-488599-1312965467_thumb.jpgpost-488599-1312965474_thumb.jpgpost-488599-1312965491_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for the post and the details! This is very close to the build I'm working on this weekend (hopefully all the parts make it). I found a used Gigabyte 480 GTX SOC on eBay for a pretty good deal. I'm really looking forward to the corsair case, have read many a great review on it.

I was planning on giving Kakewalk 4.1 a try with it, but the HCL on that only shows the GA-P67A-UD7 not the '-B3' version. It shouldn't matter since it's just the stepping fix, but you never know. I'll post back my results for sure.

Thanks again, beautiful build!

Just a quick update, finished my build last night (what an amazing case!) and I'm happy to say that with Kakewalk 4.1, everything worked right out of the box... net, sound, etc. Running at 4.5ghz at 1.36 vCore, full crunching and I'm not even hitting 60C on the CPU! The H80 is pretty impressive to say the least.

GTX480 SOC worked out of the box. Sleep was a no-go, but not too concerned over that. I have removable icons for my drives... if I remember back to my first entry into Hackintoshing there was a fairly easy fix to that.

Guess it's time to update my sig! :-)

Quick update: Simply removing NullCPUPowerManagement from /E/E has sleep working fine.

I'm also not noticing my CPU temperature going up either. So far so good, by far a smoother more successful setup than I had with my X58 920 build last year.

--- update: Sleep is sporadic. It sleeps and 50% of the time it wakes up fine, but the other 50% it will wake up and then goes back to sleep.

I am wondering though if NullCPUPowerManagement is really necessary though...

My Lion Success story! :)

Only thing that doesn't work is SLEEP, which I don't really care for so no big loss.

I keep my computer running, and if I do shut it down, it takes 30 seconds to boot to the desktop off the SSD.

If you really want sleep on this motherboard, DSDT edits are the answer. (not kexts)

My almost Dead Silent Build:

Corsair 650D Midtower Case

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 (Rev. 1.0)

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.8GHz (1.44v)

eVGA 470 GTX @ 825MHz (1150mv)

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) @ 1600MHz (1.6v 8-8-8-12 1T)

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD (SATA3) [Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit]

Corsair P128 120GB SSD (SATA2) [OSX Lion]

Corsair 750watt AX750 Professional Gold PSU

Sony 55" LED TV (HDMI to mini-HDMI on video card)

Watercooling Components: (if you follow this stuff)

XSPC 750 Dual Rad Pump (7v mod - very quiet!)

XSPC Rasa RS240 Rad (1150 RPM Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-14) [Pull]

EK CoolStream XTC 140mm Rad (Fractal Design Silent Series 140MM Ultra Quiet) [Pull]

Stock Corsair Exhaust 120mm Fan (5v mod)

EK-Supreme HF Performance- Full Copper Rev 3.0 CPU Block

EK-FC470 GTX Reference Design GPU Block- Acetal (Copper)

XSPC 7/16" ID 5/8" OD Black High Flex Tube

250mm KillCoil - Coiled up and placed in Resevoir across from pump intake

Random sound dampening pads here and there

Temps:

CPU: Idle 37c / Ambient 25c / Load 64c(Prime95) / Load 74c (IntelBurnTest)

GPU: Idle 39c / Load 51c

th_sean222_1.jpgth_sean222_2.jpgth_sean222_3.jpgth_sean222_4.jpg

OS Installation:

- Buy Lion from App Store in SL and get/locate the .app

- Mount .dmg (many guides on this) and use myHack to get Lion on USB drive (clean install).

- Add npci=0x2000 to com.apple.boot.plist to get past being stuck at Apple Logo

- After clean install, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (chimera, fakesmc, fakesmc plugins, realtek 2.06 ethernet, voodooHDA 0.2.1, Mac Pro 3,1, generate CPU states, 64-bit apple boot screen)

- Kext Utility ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] System Utilities gave 'Installation Failed')

- Native 470 GTX drivers in Lion. Full QE/CI enabled by default.

- HDMI Audio, follow my post on getting HDMI Audio working with the 470 GTX

- Enable TRIM for SSDs following this guide. Thanks to Grant Pannell.

- SteerMouse to enable mouseover problems with USB mice

And that's it. A fully working Lion install! Very fast too.

Hope this helps someone and thanks for looking.

*No need to post my files. DSDT from tonymacx86 database, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] options mentioned above, just add npci=0x2000 to com.apple.boot.plist to get past PCI Configuration hang. That's it.

post-488599-1312965467_thumb.jpgpost-488599-1312965474_thumb.jpgpost-488599-1312965491_thumb.jpg

Hey smsaim what did your set up cost you?

Hey smsaim what did your set up cost you?

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply! Haven't been on these forums for a month...everything has been running so beautifully I had no need to come on :)

Anyways Tom, got your PM. The extra voltage will definitely help you get to 4.8GHz stable...but like you said the 300MHz isn't worth it. For me it's ok, I'm on watercooling so my temps are probably the same as yours even with the extra voltage. Also, I buy a new CPU every 2 or 3 years regardless, and at these volts this CPU won't die within 5 years for sure, I know from a lot of overclocking experience :)

I haven't been able to get sleep working 100% either! Didn't bother stressing over finding a fix since I don't use sleep anyways. I run my comp 24/7 or just turn it off if I'm away for a long time.

As for the PSU chirping sounds, my AX750 never makes any sounds, even under heavy load...you should get yours exchanged......

And for the cables, I got all my stuff from DazMode Water cooling store here in Canada :) He has a lot of cabling, everything you could ever need :) Fast shipping too.

And Sclice...I'm not even gonna answer your question because the answer will depress me, lol!!!

We both know this ain't no budget PC :)

I buy mostly all of my parts when they are on sale from CanadaComputers or NCIX...but this build still isn't very cheap. I'd say over or around $2000. The watercooling is EXPENSIVE. But is quiet, sexy, and cool :)