Can't find mach_kernal Snow Leopard

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, i'm a hackintosh noob and I just recently installed Hazard 10.6.1 10.6.2. After everything was installed correctly, I seem to ran into a problem. After installing the hackintosh succesfully, I ran into a problem that it won't boot because it said "Can't find mach_kernal" which is preventing me to boot, i tried the -v -x and it still won't boot, is their a way I can solve this problem? I only running off a single HD with windows 7 64bit partioned, and Hazard 10.6.1/10.6.2 on the other partition. I would really apperciate you all if guy's helped me, I really want my laptop to run Hackintosh :(

Specs:

HP Elitebook 8740w

NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M 1GB DDR3

250GB HDD Sata drive

Intel Core i5 520m @ 2.44 GhZ

Thanks!

Hello,

***First things first. I tell this to everyone using distros so don't take offense. Distros contain tons of modifications that most machines don't need to work. It's ALWAYS easier and safer to install OSX86 on machines with a legal, retail copy of Mac OS X instead of using pre-made, highly modified distros. Now this is important and even if you get your install working you should do this sooner rather than later. Purchase a legal copy of Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion from Apple and support the software that you like to use. They work hard on making it and they deserve to get paid for doing so. Besides, I imagine it keeps them off the backs of people who maintain forums such as this. Just something to keep in mind.***

Now then, if the system can't find mach_kernel than the -v or -x flags won't do any good. The system needs a kernel to load from and link all the kexts to for proper booting. Good try though ;p. Did you check to make sure that the mach_kernel was actually installed onto your Mac partition/hard drive? Maybe your install had errors or failures of some kind. Pressing command(Apple key)+L will show an active log when installing Mac OS X, no matter the version. You can try looking at it to see if you have any errors if you need to reinstall that is.

Can you access the install disc again? if so you should be able to simply boot into it and copy the mach_kernel over to your partition without needing to reinstall the entire OS. If you can access the boot disc and get back into a Mac environment, try this.

-Once the disc loads, go to Utilities -> Disk Utility

-Look at the left for all listed partitions and make sure your install is there.

-Make note of the name of the volume (Macintosh HD, Snow Leopard, whatever you named it)

-Close Disk Utility using the quit option under it's name or just press CMD+Q

-Go back to Utilities -> Terminal

-Once it loads try typing in these commands, after each line press enter:

cd /
ls -la

You should see mach_kernel listed here somewhere. if you don't see it anywhere then quit out and reboot. Your disc seems to be corrupted and/or missing files and may have several other issues. Otherwise, continue on:

sudo cp -R mach_kernel /Volumes/<yourMacinstallName>

***NOTE: You should have root privlages while using the install disc but I added sudo in the commands just in case. If you get an error like (sudo, command not found) while trying to use it in Terminal, simply omit using sudo while running the remaining commands. Better safe for me to add it in than not though.)***

Now, remember how I said to keep the name of the install in mind before? replace where I wrote <yourMacinstallName> with the name you saw in Disk Utility. This will copy the install disc's mach_kernel over to your fresh installation of Snow Leopard and you should be able to continue booting normally using it. I advise you fix it though ASAP as the disc mach_kernel shouldn't stay on your install. It's safer and better to use the one you were suppose to have installed to begin with. Use Pacifist to extract it from your install disc when you can.

Anyway, as long as you don't get any errors you should be good. and then you can run these final few commands to reboot the system and retry normal booting into the fresh Mac install:

sudo reboot

After your computer reboots, remove the install disc and retry booting into your fresh SL install as normal. You should use the verbose flag (-v) while booting for the first couple boots just to make sure everything loads properly and you don't get any hangs/freezes. Hope it helps. Good Luck.

• 8 years later...
On 8/11/2011 at 6:31 PM, gygabyte666 said:

Hello,

***First things first. I tell this to everyone using distros so don't take offense. Distros contain tons of modifications that most machines don't need to work. It's ALWAYS easier and safer to install OSX86 on machines with a legal, retail copy of Mac OS X instead of using pre-made, highly modified distros. Now this is important and even if you get your install working you should do this sooner rather than later. Purchase a legal copy of Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion from Apple and support the software that you like to use. They work hard on making it and they deserve to get paid for doing so. Besides, I imagine it keeps them off the backs of people who maintain forums such as this. Just something to keep in mind.***

Now then, if the system can't find mach_kernel than the -v or -x flags won't do any good. The system needs a kernel to load from and link all the kexts to for proper booting. Good try though ;p. Did you check to make sure that the mach_kernel was actually installed onto your Mac partition/hard drive? Maybe your install had errors or failures of some kind. Pressing command(Apple key)+L will show an active log when installing Mac OS X, no matter the version. You can try looking at it to see if you have any errors if you need to reinstall that is.

Can you access the install disc again? if so you should be able to simply boot into it and copy the mach_kernel over to your partition without needing to reinstall the entire OS. If you can access the boot disc and get back into a Mac environment, try this.

-Once the disc loads, go to Utilities -> Disk Utility

-Look at the left for all listed partitions and make sure your install is there.

-Make note of the name of the volume (Macintosh HD, Snow Leopard, whatever you named it)

-Close Disk Utility using the quit option under it's name or just press CMD+Q

-Go back to Utilities -> Terminal

-Once it loads try typing in these commands, after each line press enter:

cd /
ls -la

You should see mach_kernel listed here somewhere. if you don't see it anywhere then quit out and reboot. Your disc seems to be corrupted and/or missing files and may have several other issues. Otherwise, continue on:

sudo cp -R mach_kernel /Volumes/<yourMacinstallName>

***NOTE: You should have root privlages while using the install disc but I added sudo in the commands just in case. If you get an error like (sudo, command not found) while trying to use it in Terminal, simply omit using sudo while running the remaining commands. Better safe for me to add it in than not though.)***

Now, remember how I said to keep the name of the install in mind before? replace where I wrote <yourMacinstallName> with the name you saw in Disk Utility. This will copy the install disc's mach_kernel over to your fresh installation of Snow Leopard and you should be able to continue booting normally using it. I advise you fix it though ASAP as the disc mach_kernel shouldn't stay on your install. It's safer and better to use the one you were suppose to have installed to begin with. Use Pacifist to extract it from your install disc when you can.

Anyway, as long as you don't get any errors you should be good. and then you can run these final few commands to reboot the system and retry normal booting into the fresh Mac install:

sudo reboot

After your computer reboots, remove the install disc and retry booting into your fresh SL install as normal. You should use the verbose flag (-v) while booting for the first couple boots just to make sure everything loads properly and you don't get any hangs/freezes. Hope it helps. Good Luck.

i tried sudo cp -R mach_kernel /Volumes/MacOSInstallBoi but it doesn't work. cp -R mach_kernel /Volumes/MacOSInstallBoi resulting in the terminal showing cp command usage.

any help would be appreciated.