I need advice!

Bartboy919

3 posts in this topic

I am having a difficult time deciding if I should get a Mac Pro or build a custom machine

I realized today that when I was running vista 5536 and got a windows score of 2.0, that I need a new desktop computer.

Part of me wants to get a Mac Pro because it is so sleek and that I wold have a machine capable of running OS X and Vista.

The other part of me wants to have the customization and reassurance that I can put any graphics card I want in there and flip out my processor of a quick speed boost. I also Plan on getting a large display (I'm Hoping for a 30 in. Wide screen), Which in and of itself costs a lot, and since I'm a high school student there is now way to get a stable income while balancing school and sports. I also know that a Mac Pro is fairly steep in price coming in at about $2550, and that with the student discount!

Please help me decide. I have a macbook so I don't think I should buy a Mac pro Solely for the OS X experience.

I am also not planing on buying a New computer at least untill Vista comes out.

you should base it all on how the custom-built pc will perform and cost. the mac pro is amazing, sure, but if you really want a true gaming machine where you can replace the processor and where you can replace the graphics card easily, then you should go for the custom built. just remember, the mac pro can be downgraded to 2ghz zeons, lowering the price to right about $2000.

I think you wouldnt really need to upgrade the mac pro, but if you had to you could always buy another gig of ram. also, just think of how fast osx would run.

for the custom built, it would most likely be less powerful, resulting in the need to upgrade.

you did say you wouldnt be buying until vista. wait until then and check out the prices of a new or refurbished machine. ebay also helps. if its still out of your price range, go for the custom built.