Lion performance issues

arj00n

9 posts in this topic

I managed to clean install Lion on my Lenovo T61 ( Intel T7100, 500GB HDD, 3GM RAM, 965GM, GMA X3100) following this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729 It boots up fine, however it is not stable. It often hangs applications like itunes, quicktime, safari, text edit etc randomly. In iTunes, when I try to preview a song or video, it comes up with either connecting or re-rebuffering stream popup message and it hangs on there. Similarly, in Chrome or Safari, it randomly freezes when trying to open a new tab. When I right click the trash icon to empty items or if trying to install a new program, the pop up window doesn't open properly (often very small, transparent and barely visible) and remains on the desktop until I force quit the program. I can play flash videos, internet streaming radios from websites but itunes radio streaming doesn't work. Even the finder becomes unresponsive often and I have to force quit and relaunch it for it to work. I have a fully functional snow leopard installed in an external drive that works perfectly in the same machine. Can anyone help me figure what the issue is?...will replacing few kexts from snow leopard into lion solve it?

I experience exact same problem:

• My computer is a Lenovo x61s (Core 2 Duo, 4 gb ram, with Chameleon, Mac OS X 10.7.2)
  • Snow Leo is working on this machine perfectly.
  • Lion is working with performance issues
  • Safari hangs time by time
  • Finder and other apps hangs also.
  • When opening a new window (Finder, Safari etc.) new window opens as a small transparent window. App is working in that window, for example close window button works in that small window.
  • When Safari hangs, opening and closing a new tab solves hang problem of current tab.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Same issues here ;)

Details:

- Acer 5745G, 4 GB RAM, Core i5-430M, Nvidia GT330M

snow leopard works just fine, the UI and performance is breezy, on Lion there is a general sluggishness / Jitters in the UI.

Overall, I think this might be a UI drivers issues, not sure though.

Some things I tried [but didnt work]:

- Unloaded AppleUpstreamUserClient

- Rolled back AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily to 10.6.7

I guess a lot of people are facing this issue, would be great if someone can investigate, or guide on how to investigate this issue.

-Rock

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I experience the exact same symptoms, I have no clue what could be the problem.

I don't see any odd output when a program hangs in the console window.

Everytime an app hangs (often when I use the finder window options like save as, open, etc.) I have to use the mac task manager to kill finder or the app that hangs.

I suppose it is a kernel issue, framebuffer (because of the transperant small windows), or something else.

Snow leopard does work like a breeze, so I hope someone finds the solution!

I had similar random crashes, graphical glitches, major typing and scrolling lag in safari on my Thinkpad R61

Core 2 Duo, x3100

I never had any such probs with SL

VoodooTSCSync fixed everything!

maybe worth a shot...

The symptoms return after wake from sleep (for me) This kext corrects the wake from sleep issue... link:

http://code.google.com/p/voodootscsync/issues/detail?id=1

VoodooTSCSync.kext.zip

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Has anybody had any luck solving this issue yet? I am suffering from this same issue.

I tried Thade's VoodooTSCSync method without any luck, although I'm not sure what to do with the patch.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks!

My setup: Core 2 Quad Extreme, Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR, 8 GB of RAM, Nvidia 9800GTX 1024 MB

I had similar random crashes, graphical glitches, major typing and scrolling lag in safari on my Thinkpad R61

Core 2 Duo, x3100

I never had any such probs with SL

VoodooTSCSync fixed everything!

maybe worth a shot...

The symptoms return after wake from sleep (for me) This kext corrects the wake from sleep issue... link:

http://code.google.c...ues/detail?id=1

Yes VoodooTSCSync kext did the trick...Lion is now working perfectly. Thanks a million