Hackintosh newbie needs some multiboot pointers please.

BigMacAttack

3 posts in this topic

Greetings!

I've finally taken the plunge. I've been wanting to do this for a long time and I finally got around to it... I have a couple of OLD powerpc macs that I don't know how to use and my son has a powerbook but he's 800 miles away in college.. :thumbsdown_anim:

I'm a Linux fanatic and I understand the OS X is BSD/Unix based so I shouldn't have too much of a learning curve, I've been using Linux for about 6 years and running Suse 10.0 on my big box.

As for the "hackintosh".

What I have is an old Dell Optiplex GX260 I got for free.

It has 512m ram, intel 2ghz w/sse2 and an ATI rage 128 agp video (in slot)

It has two 40gb hard drives and no floppies and no cd/dvd drives.

It's a dog but it does run.

I plugged a DVD drive into it to do the install but it must be removed when finished.

I have JaS 10.4.7 up an running on drive 0, works pretty good I guess.

I unplugged the mac drive and then installed Vista RC1 on drive 1. Vista works as well as you could expect, I guess.

Anyway, now the problem is, how do I set up so that I can boot OS X from drive 0 or Vista from drive 1???

I don't want either OS to share the other's drive and I don't want a common partition between them, I have no need for that. I want OS X to remain uncontaminated and untouched by M$.. The OSX is going to be for video editing/dvd authoring and the Vista is for me to learn on and get a jump on my customers. I hate windows but I know people are going to go to it so I have to also learn it so I can support them.

So,

OS X on drive 0 (40gigs)

Vista on drive 1 (40gigs)

DVD drive to be removed once it's all done.

How to set it up so that I can select at boot time which drive to boot up??

Thanks!

Guest bikedude880

Welcome to the forums!

I would recommend Acronis Disk Director 10 as it will allow you to boot from virtually any file system and as many operating systems as you want. The only down side is that it is kind of slow.

I would also recommend running XBench to see how your system compares to a Dual G5 before you get heavy into the video editing.

Welcome to the forums!

I would recommend Acronis Disk Director 10 as it will allow you to boot from virtually any file system and as many operating systems as you want. The only down side is that it is kind of slow.

I would also recommend running XBench to see how your system compares to a Dual G5 before you get heavy into the video editing.

Agreed,If you want it for video editing and such I would say put Os X on a P4 HTT w/ SSE3 or better cpu with at least 1 gig ram and on a fast pata or even sata.