Problem when copying partition to another HDD

ernando

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have OS X installed here on 80GB HDD, which I divide it into 40GB for Mac, and 40GB for Windows. Now that I bought bigger HDD, it's 160GB, I want to clone this 40GB Mac partition into the new 160GB. Searching through the forum I found that using Carbon Copy Cloner is the easiest one. So I partition this new 160GB using Disk Utility and begin the cloning process using Carbon Copy Cloner with make it bootable option on. After the process, I cannot boot into this 160GB. Tried either partition using GUID and MBR have the same result. I know that one of the solution must be reinstall OS X into this new 160GB, but I choose not to do that since I made many changes to the system, so that means I have to restart again patching the kexts if I'm really reinstall it. Does anybody can help me with a better way?

Thanks

To work with a hackintosh, the drive must be set up as MBR, not GUID. As for using CCC, I'm betting that using the "bootable" option is not respecting the MBR, so I would try it without that. As an alternative, from OSX, run Restore in Disk Utility. Also, when partitioning with Disk Utility, it doesn't set the partition "active".

So I would attempt the following:

Go to Disk Utility (re-partition drive and format partition)

1. On the left, select the new hard drive (not any of the partitions)

2. On the right, select Partition.

3. Set the scheme to 2 partitions, name them, set format on Windows partition to MSDOS (this is FAT32 - you'll have to reformat this with another app later if you want NTFS) and set the format on the OSX partition as MacOS Extended Journaled, then select Options button.

4. Set options to Master Boot Record, exit options, click on Partition button.

5. Format your new OSX partition again (I've read that Partition doesn't do a good job)

6. On the left, click on your new OSX partition

7. On the right go to Erase tab, and format it again as MacOS Extended Journaled.

8. Use Restore to copy over your OSX partition

Exit Disk Utility.

Go to Terminal (set partition active)

1. Determine which disk your MacOSX partition is on

Type diskutil list

Verify which disk number holds your partition (disk0, disk1, etc.)

2. Start using Fdisk

Assuming the MacOSX disk is the second disk ("disk1"), then

type sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1 <== use "rdisk" with your disk number here !!

Give your password

Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..."

3. Determine which partition for MacOSX needs to be set "Active"

Type p

Verify which partition is for MacOSX (1, 2, 3, etc.)

4. Set the partition "Active"

Assuming it is partition 2, then

type f 2 <== use your partition number here !!

5. Save and exit

Type write

Type y (yes you are sure)

Type exit (to quit)

Exit Terminal

Good luck!

thanks for the quick reply Rammjet, I'll try this

Rammjet, i mean i want to copy only the os x partition, I will left the Win partition on the old disk, from what you write, so I go straight to make 1 Extended Journaled partition and skip the MSDOS partition ? Or do I have to make this MSDOS partition ?

Thanks