[GUIDE] OSX Lion on a P6T Deluxe V2 USB or HDD

vmaraccini

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

So, after some trial an error, I will post a guide to get OSX Lion working on this specific configuration:

Asus P6T - Deluxe V2

Core i7 920

ATI's 4870 X2

BUT this method *should* work with many other boards, just by changing a few kexts and running the DSDT autopatcher tool.

Support files:

Extra.zip

What you'll need:

A Mac/Working Hackintosh OR VMWare Workstation with a working image of Lion installer;

To make this VM, check this tutorial:

It has some binary patching for VMWare to work with Lion. This will be a temporary machine, just so that we can format the drives and install Lion. We will have to do some tweaking after the installation as well.

You may want to try to run Part I of the installation on a real Mac or on a Hackintosh, but I do recommend running Part I on VMWare.

OSX Lion installation package. Don't ask where you can get it ;)

USB Drive, 6GB minimum (External HDs are ok) AND a spare internal drive (if you want it a bit faster).

Part I: The Lion menace

• If you are using VMWare:
  • After you have a working VMWare machine, you should be able to boot into the installation using the technique mentioned above. Connect your USB drive to the VM before it boots (Use the settings pannel or be quick about it on the plug-and-play menu on the bottom right of the window). You probably won't be able to mount your internal HDD and get it recognized (you can try, though: use Settings > Add Harddrive > Use physical disk), therefore we will clone the USB device later, if you want it on an internal HD.

If you are using a Mac/Hackintosh:
  • Find a way to make a bootable Lion Install DVD and boot from there (Sorry, can't help much here)

• Once the installation is up, open Disk Utility (under utilities) and select your USB Drive.

• Go to the partition tab and select 1 partition. Name it as you want, and set the format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Go to options and set the partition map scheme as GUID Partiton Table. Then click apply.
    post-826404-1312066512_thumb.jpg

• Proceed with the installation as normal, targeting the USB drive you just formatted.

Part II: War of the felines

• Once the installation is complete, reboot the VM or your working OSX machine and connect your USB drive to it.

If your board is the same as mine:
  • Copy the folder Extra to your Lion drive's root folder:
    Extra.zip
    post-826404-1312069894_thumb.png

If not:
  • Add your own kexts to the mix.

To all:

• I recommend patching your DSDT to make things smoother. I used the tool posted by MaLd0n Here (Obrigado, MaLd0n!)

• Running this will create a file on your desktop. Drag it to the /Extra folder on your boot partition.

• Install Chameleon RC5 on your USB/HDD drive. Don't forget to change the install destination to your USB/HDD drive!!
    http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227833

• You are done installing OSX Lion on the drive! If your board is not the same as mine, you can now reboot and see what is working and what is not. If you have the same board, proceed to Part III.[/b]

Part III: The revenge of the PC

• BIOS Settings:
    Reboot your machine and hit delete when prompted to enter the BIOS. There, just change the Hard drive mode to AHCI and press F10. Reboot again.

• This time, hit F8 and select the USB/HDD drive as the boot volume. You should be greeted with the chameleon bootloader a few seconds later. Great!

• Now, cross your fingers and hopefully Lion will boot! Finish the installation by creating a username and password, blah blah.

• You should be on a fully functional system!!

Fixing sound for the P6T-Deluxe V2 (and majority of other boards):

• Honestly, the best fix I found for the audio was to use the generic VoodooHDA.kext driver for SL. Here it is:
    • Just install the package. Got a VERY loud microphone there? No problem:
    • Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions and find VoodooHDA.kext.
    • Right click and select "Show Package Contents".
    • Then, copy the file info.plist to your desktop, edit the iGain property to about 30 (you can experiment here) and save it.
    • Put the info.plist back where it was and copy VoodooHDA.kext to your desktop.
    • Use kext helper (http://cheetha.net/) to install the kext once again.
    • Reboot. Done!
      post-826404-1312075433_thumb.png

OR:

Be really lazy and install this kext I've already modified ^_^
      VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Getting the 4870X2 to work with both ports enabled (This WONT work with a lot of other GFXs):

• Install netkas' Exotic Pack for Lion:
      QE_CI_Exotic_patch_for_10.7.0_11A511.pkg.zip
    • Navigate to /Extras and open the file com.apple.boot.plist
    • Open it and add the entry (anywhere):
      <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
      <string>Yes</string>
      post-826404-1312072537_thumb.png
    • Save and close it.
    • Reboot. Done!

Extra "final" step: Cloning the USB's drive image to an HDD

So, if everything went fine and your system boots after all that, you may want to make it a little faster by installing it to an HDD and booting from there every time. It's easy to do:

Use a cloning program to clone your USB's partition to a HDD. Use the same formatting (Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I used Carbon Copy Cloner (Free on the App Store).

Once it's cloned, just reinstall chameleon and you're done!

That's it for the tutorial I guess. If you follow these steps, you should get a fully funcional system! Even sleep works!

Please, post your results or doubts and I'll try my best to help you!

Also, experts around may point out mistakes in this tutorial so I can correct them.

Thank you, and I hope it helps!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...