3 Beep problem - maybe not Memory error?

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro, it was working fine today, but when i got home and turned it on, it freezes on apple logo and keep playing 3 beeps.. I searched a little bit and i found out that this should be related to Memory Problems..

As i need my Mac this week, i prefeer to take to authorized support only in the last case..

anyway, i used the hardware test tool from apple (pressing D on the boot) and made the extended test, it said everything was OK, no problems found. I even booted a Live Linux distribution, Lubuntu 10.10, and it worked perfectly, so i really think thats not a memory problem.. maybe the SO is corrupted?

I have a disc of MAC OS Lion and it boots perfectly, but i dont want to format the computer and loose my data..

I tryied to access from Linux but i receive a message of Access Denied..

Any sugestions?

Is there anyway to me to access my User folder on Mac HD by Linux? Get permissions? How can i get permissions?

Thank You very much!

I'm not sure where the problem is with your Mac, but if you think that it is OS related, then you have several options here:

• Use Install DVD and boot to it, then copy (using Terminal.app) all data to an external storage like USB/Firewire HDD
  • Use an an external storage like USB/Firewire HDD to install OS X to and use this system to access/work with your files. Optionally you could transfer files and settings from the internal HDD, thus getting the clone copy of your existing install.

The above options are rather a temporary solution (to be able to work till the problem is solved) then a permanent fix. I suspect your HDD is failing and you probably should consider checking/replacing it.

Other options might need access to your Mac's internal components, which might not be possible if it is still under warranty.