Partition and other problems

Shirahime

21 posts in this topic

hello ! i'am french and my english is quite bad ^^ sorry :D;; i have a laptop hp pavilion zd8000

I managed to install Mac Os X 10.4.1 from a PDF i found on a website, and the OS boots really correctly quickly comparing to my mac mini there is no difference, but i still have some problems with this os ( deadmoo's version). it started with a partition of only 6gb, i cryed a lot when a saw it (not really :P ) impossible to resize it with disk utils, drive genius and another one partition resizer i had... no problem i used ubuntu live cd to try to resize this partition, failed also... T_T still no problem, with the rest of the disk i created a partition in fat32 since mac osx recognizes it and can write on these partitions... ok mac os x reboot with no problem... recognizes the new partition( 65 gb ), then i do the updates, three **** updates of itunes and two other ones... i used internet connection to downlod dmg of the update from 10.4.2 to 10.4.7 but when i start them, a the choice of the hard drive to install it, no disc meets the requirements : first partition of 6 gb with 2gb left failed, the fat32 partition totally empty failed also... so i don't know how to make the updates.

Then i realized i can't even install any software... did i do something wrong ???

please help me !!

:) thanks a lot and sorry again for my bad english.

Your english is better than some native english speaker, let me tell you that.

As for the deadmoo, if i recall, this is a drive image, and is a bit old.

I'd suggest you get 10.4.5 or later (jas or myzar) install dvd, with which you could chose your own partition size. (search on torrent sites)

Also, you shouldn't take the usual osx updates from apple; look for hacked updates (again jas or myzar, according to whether you are on intel or amd). Otherwise you'd have problems.

By the way, there's a french section to insanelymac. But your english is fine.

thank you for all of these informations, i'm going to search for one of these iso, i found one from the team hotiso but i won't use it since it's not a version you are recommending but thanks a lot :D i'll come back to give you the results.

hello again, damn i really prefer the english board :D. So i found on demon the iso of the 10.4.7 version of JAS but i don't know how to install these version, i searched for a walkthrough install of this dvd but didn't found one can you explain just a little bit how does it work ? if it boots without a modification of a boot.ini, can i install the mac os x direct on a hdd formatted in fat32 or i must format this in hfs? don't really know where to go... i precise that i can do near everything with all files since i have a pc with win 2003 server on it, a mac mini core duo, and my laptop on witch one i can use my live cd of ubuntu...

any URL for an explanation ? (maybe my search wasn't good enough as i said my english isn't very good.)

http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/05/...ndows-computer/

Two things:

1) After you boot the DVD and get into the installer, go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility and format the partition. Click on your partition on the left and the Erase tab on the right. Be sure it is set to MacOS Extended Journaled and click on Erase, then quit Disk Utility.

2) During the installation, right before clicking on the Install button, you must first click on the Customize button and choose packages for your computer. You must click on the little arrow to theleft of the categories to reveal the individual packages. Choose only Intel packages, not AMD. Choose SSE2 or SSE3, not both, depending upon the capability of your processor.

thank you Rammjet but i can't use the method you gave me in the link as it requires a diskette and my laptop has no floppy drive :/

any idea ?

another thing do i need something installed in the hdd to boot the dvd because i only want to install tiger on the laptop and after the tiger installation i'll install bootcamp to put xp on it i won't use a multiboot config is that ok ?

Then your situation is simpler even. You don't need disquette drive.

When you get the iso image, burn it at low speed to insure a quality disc.

Then just boot on the DVD (use the appropriate F-key, or modify bios options to boot on dvd drive) and follow the two points by rammjet.

You should be able to select the size of your osx partition to leave some for windows and/or data partition (by the way, using bootcamp will make it into a multiboot system... so maybe you were thinking about Parallels which allows a virtual install of windows).

hello again, i tried the walktrough install rammjet gave me but it doesn't work at all :

i installed xp on the hdd, then i used partition magic to resize the partition of win xp to 18Gb so it leaves 58 Gb free...and unallocated ( appears as free space on partition magic after reboot) i used diskpart to set the unallocated partition as active... then i booted up the mac os x 10.4.7 (jas' edition) the dvd boots up the installation starts untils the hard drive choice and then.... nothing the free space i allocated with partition magic doesn't appear...

No problem... i use the hdd on my mac mini to format the free space in hfs journalised ok it works fine with diskutils ! then i restatrt the install of mac os x... oh yeah !!! i see the free space allocated by the mac mini i begin the installation... ok all is fine the pc reboots... but boots nothing... neither xp or mac os x and that **** ultimate boot cd bugs at the keyboard loading (i'm cursed i tell you XD). moreover, when i use the hdd on another pc i have with partition magic, omg... the hdd isn't formatted "whadda hellllllllll !!!!!!!!" i screamed ( in french of course :P ) so now i don't know what to do.

so : rammjet's method doesn't work because of : the free space allocated isn't recognized by the mac os x setup... and when i use the mac mini to format the partition in a mac format the setup works but the pc doesn' boot anymore with anything ...

any idea ???

thx in advance :)

i used partition magic to resize the partition of win xp to 18Gb so it leaves 58 Gb free...and unallocated ( appears as free space on partition magic after reboot) i used diskpart to set the unallocated partition as active

so : rammjet's method doesn't work because of : the free space allocated isn't recognized by the mac os x setup... and when i use the mac mini to format the partition in a mac format the setup works but the pc doesn' boot anymore with anything ...

Besides being used to set the partition "active", Diskpart is also used to turn the unallocated space into a partition with an identifier "af".

From the guide:

* Create at least 6GB unallocated space on your harddisk using Partition Magic...

* Click ‘START > Run…’ and type ‘diskpart’ (without quotes)

* Type in (press enter after you typed in a line):

list disk
  select disk [the number of your disk]
  create partition primary id=af   <========= important

Then

list partition
  select partition [the number of your osx partition]
  active (if this doesn’t work, try ’set active’ without quotes)

And, yes, you can skip the "spfdisk" part of the guide.

Okay i finally get to know how i want to install mac os x on my laptop ! ( yeepeeeee :P ) for you it will be more easy to help me. I m gonna install mac os X native on the HDD of my laptop and use parallel to have a virtual machine of win xp on it. i don't want to have a dual boot ( according to me it sucks :P )

so i'm trying to install mac os x without any win xp installed or multiboot to start the tiger. will it boot ?

please advise me T_T thx :P

During the install, before clicking the Install button, you must click the Customize button and select packages for your computer. Click on the little arrow before the patches category and select only Intel packages, not AMD. Select SSE2 or SSE3, not both, depending upon the capability of your processor.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=4249

Guest bikedude880

Yeah, I had that happen a few times. I would try SSE2 to see what happens, I originally thought my Pentium D 805 was SSE3, turns out I was wrong :).

ok i've just tried to install with the sse2 same problem :) grey screen at th beginning the apple stays with little wheel rolling and then 10 seconds after disapears and leave the screen grey stuck at this point ... i think i tried everything

Have you tried starting in verbose mode (-v) to see what messages and errors are occuring at the hang?

i tried no errors reporting but i have some news !

1 : 2 partions installed on my hdd : xp and osx

2 : acronis dual boot fully fonctionnal ( sometimes acronis remake my xp partition acitve but it's not a problem, just have to remake os x partition active and back to normal ^^ )

3 : os x 10.4.7 functionnal with a tutorial of the genius board, still my sound is not working a AC97 Sound... it says : system extention cannot be used : the system extention "system/library/extentions/appleACaudio.kext" was install improperly and cannot be used, please try reinstaling it, or...

and the same for apple ac97audiointelich.kext...

plus, my video card isn't showing anymore than 1024*768 but i think i can brute force a better resolution