Kext Utility or Disk Utility

wokko

5 posts in this topic

Just a question on which do I use when I repair permissions.

The only reason Im asking is I added a kext to my /Extra folder and used Kext Utility to repair permissions and when I was formatting my usb in Disk Utility, I clicked on verify permissions on my hdd to see what would happen and all the Extensions were wrong permissions so I repaired them.

So my question is do I use kext or disk to repair my permissions ?

AFAIK Disk Utility repair permissions for all system files (not only kexts). Kext Utility repairs only kexts. So Disk Utility is all-in-one tool, while Kext Utility does only specific task. Use specific utility for the specific task. :(

AFAIK Disk Utility repair permissions for all system files (not only kexts). Kext Utility repairs only kexts. So Disk Utility is all-in-one tool, while Kext Utility does only specific task. Use specific utility for the specific task. :)

Thanks @3.14r2 for clearing that up for me.

Kexts in /Extra/Extensions do not need to have permissions and ownership set, those are loaded by Chameleon and Chameleon doesn't care about permissions and ownership. You can just copy them in.

Disk Utility will not repair permissions on 3rd party kernel extensions that it doesn't "know" (like say VoodooHDA) that were installed manually (or by point-and-click tools such as kext utility) in /System/Library/Extensions.

It will repair permissions and ownership on a modified Apple kext though.

• Like 1