(Very Odd) Laptop Installation

elynnia

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

In these last few days I downloaded the 10.4.6.install.dvd and managed to burn it onto DVD, and I checked the contents on my iMac.

My intention is to install it onto a Sony Vaio VGN-B90PS laptop, however it seems that it does not want to load the boot prompt of the OSX installer, and decides to start from the HD even if the OSX DVD is in the drive. To compound matters, it WILL boot a Linux LiveCD, a Windows XP Install Disk or a Vaio Recovery Disc.

Has anybody had similar issues, and is there a suitable workaround?

Also, I have used the deadmoo image of 10.4.1 on the Vaio, which runs as-fine-as-it-does, and as such there did not seem to be hardware-related crashes.

Thanks,

Aly

Sounds like it doesn't recognize the DVD as a bootable disk...

Possible causes:

- You burned the stock Install DVD instead of a properly patched image.

- The disk image wasn't burned to the disk as an image or the wrong block size or mode was used.

- The download was corrupted

- The burn was bad for one of the usual reasons (burner malfunction, poor quality blank, problem during burning)

I'm guessing the first one is the problem. A generic PC (BIOS-based) won't know what to make of the stock install disk intended to boot on an (EFI-based) Intel Mac. To avoid too much additional downloading, you'll want to find a patch that you can apply to the stock disk image you already have... You shouldn't have to look too far to get the skinny on them.

It sounds like you've downloaded, burned, and booted an OS disk image before so it's probably not a burn settings problem.

Download corruption is unlikely if you downloaded with something that uses error checking (e.g. bittorrent) unless maybe it's only a partial download. If you suspect this is the problem, do a quick md5sum on your image and see if it's the same as the known hash values for the image floating around on the net.

I can't say much about the last one (play it by ear), except of course to complain about burning software that doesn't have an option to verify when you burn an image. !@#$!

Hi,

Thanks for the advice - to check if it was really the DVD, I tested it in two other computers I had access to (an Athlon XP desktop and a Celeron desktop), and both computers recognised the installer and loaded it properly. Seeing that the disc doesn't get recognised by Nero InfoTool consistently on the vaio, will try burning it to another blank DVD of different make and see if I get better results...

elynnia

Hi everyone, and an update - I went out and bought a pack of MagMedia DVD+Rs to give different disks a go, and also tried burning them using the vaio's dvd burner and the one on the Celeron desktop, alnd what was worse, the vaio's DVD burner didn't even burn the DVDs properly.

This might be that the DVD drive on the Vaio is inherently screwed, or else I bought a bad batch of DVD+Rs. The first is an option I can't rule out, since I've had quite some trouble burning DVDs in the past with it, so a problem reading burnt DVDs may be an extension.

Any other ideas still very much appreciated~~ ^.^

elynnia

What I suggest (keyword being Suggest) is using VM Ware, its what I used mostly because my DVD Burner hates me and for some reason never made good bootable DVD's for me. You can use VMWare to install Mac and then set it so Mac can run nativly. You can check the VMware to Native Tutorial at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11314

Good Luck!

Hello~

After various attempts at different methods (including VMWare), it became clear that the culprit was the DVD-drive, which I promptly gave a quick clean using a commercial "disc cleaner" and ever since it's burned and read all DVDs and CDs perfectly - and so detected and installed the Tiger DVD without any problems. As someone famous once said,

<i>I apologise for the inconvenience.</i> (orz)

elynnia