[SOLVED] ACPI kernel panic on GA-Q67M-D2H

80 posts in this topic

No, I have to prepare and send PC to a friend and then wait for a studio stop for an HD2 test.

My friend has an HD2 but without accel card (core + process) ... is it a good test?

Yep, I think so. Anyway, I guess your friend would want a working 10.6.8 system. It's not warranted Protools can work fine on Lion even with real Macs.

This final step is also complicated. I read on Tonymac that people had problems with the 1155 Supermicro and Asus motherboards with Protools. But I don't think they made a correct DSDT for them.

Also, have you tried a PCI-X card in the slots?. I'm worried about that chipset heatsink....It may collide with the PCI-X pins.

Btw, how is working the Ethernet? Everything fine? I think it does need a third party kext. Do I?

Yep, I think so. Anyway, I guess your friend would want a working 10.6.8 system. It's not warranted Protools can work fine on Lion even with real Macs.

Oh yes ... I will send a dual (or trial?) boot with 10.6.7 (+ bridge Helper), 10.6.8, and 10.7 only for experimental purpose.

This final step is also complicated. I read on Tonymac that people had problems with the 1155 Supermicro and Asus motherboards with Protools.

But I don't think they made a correct DSDT for them.

I read every post and I'm agree with you. Also I think there isn't mutch compatiblity with server mobo at the moment.

Also, have you tried a PCI-X card in the slots?. I'm worried about that chipset heatsink....It may collide with the PCI-X pins.

Yes. I tried a PCI-X 400/800 firewire card:

Photo%20mag%2031,%2022%2046%2014.jpg

Perfect!

Btw, how is working the Ethernet? Everything fine? I think it does need a third party kext. Do I?

Working fine .. you need third party kext, dont remember if original Realtek or Lx2Mac driver.

Oh yes ... I will send a dual (or trial?) boot with 10.6.7 (+ bridge Helper), 10.6.8, and 10.7 only for experimental purpose.

I read every post and I'm agree with you. Also I think there isn't mutch compatiblity with server mobo at the moment.

Yes. I tried a PCI-X 400/800 firewire card:

Perfect!

Working fine .. you need third party kext, dont remember if original Realtek or Lx2Mac driver.

Great.

Now I'm looking for a new VGA card. At the moment we have a 9600GT silent, but the heatpipes are too close to the protools cards and I'm afraid the dsp could overheat. Also the VGA heatsink may collide with the big cpu heatsink I'm planning to buy since this mobo is so small.

29438758.jpg

Audio now is working, PCI-X firewire 800 card is working on the PCI slot.

Later will test integrated video ... only one question, video on i7 2600 is HD 2000, right?

On Lion with Z68MA in System Profiler it was reported HD3000....

Audio now is working, PCI-X firewire 800 card is working on the PCI slot.

Later will test integrated video ... only one question, video on i7 2600 is HD 2000, right?

On Lion with Z68MA in hardware overview it was reported HD3000....

According to intel docs it's a HD2000

http://ark.intel.com/products/52213

Btw, I think it may be interesting to use the internal video card if it's fast and stable enough. I think I'll research about.

Now I'm testing internal video with modded DSDT.

Using internal video I have a reboot on loading Audio kexts.

Removed 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext, ALC8xx.kext and HDAEnabler889.kext and Lion can continue boot.

But now I have again AppleACPIPlatform kernel panic in safe mode.

In normal mode I have:

Photo%20ago%2001,%200%2039%2047.jpg

With -x and no DSDT (DSDT=no or bad path) Lion boots... this is very strange...

Now I'm testing internal video with modded DSDT.

Using internal video I have a reboot on loading Audio kexts.

Removed 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext, ALC8xx.kext and HDAEnabler889.kext and Lion can continue boot.

But now I have again AppleACPIPlatform kernel panic in safe mode.

In normal mode I have:

With -x and no DSDT (DSDT=no or bad path) Lion boots... this is very strange...

Apparently this motherboard also causes kernel panics in Linux when the internal VGA board is used. Maybe is just a bug. Anyway, I don't think using the internal video is a good choice.

Apparently this motherboard also causes kernel panics in Linux when the internal VGA board is used. Maybe is just a bug. Anyway, I don't think using the internal video is a good choice.

No, I have tried Ubuntu 11.04 Live and it works fine also with video ... full resolution and internal vidoe is recognized as:

"Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)"

Any idea?

I think HD2000 is not supported at all.

No, I have tried Ubuntu 11.04 Live and it works fine also with video ... full resolution and internal vidoe is recognized as:

"Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)"

Any idea?

I think HD2000 is not supported at all.

I read in tonymac that there is no need for a modded dsdt in order to have internal video. You just need to mod two files adding the correct pci id's.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...767&start=0

Try the working DSDT and this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm also trying to build an HD2 system out of this board (GA-Q67M-D2H). I've been trying to do so for a few days and have almost made it, but when i install protools, while booting i get a Kernel Panic apparently originated from com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal, which i suspect is due to RAM differences between MikOnMac's Board and mine, i have 16GB of RAM.

Without installing PT, just using MikOnMac's DSDT w/video (thanks MaLd0n!) along with the already mentioned extensions and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], i am able to get everything working: network, PCIe nVidia GT520, audio, everything. The problem just happens after installing PTHD 9.0.5.

I tried creating my own DSDT but without good results, using auto patcher with the existing GA-Q67M-D2H patch i get compiling errors, and i extracted my DSDT using a CD bootable Linux.

I'm out of ideas, any suggestions?

I leave here my DSDT!

Thanks!

Lion 10.7.1

GA-Q67M-D2H F5

i7 2600

16GB RAM

Gigabyte nVidia GT520 1GB

All SATA ports used 3x2TB + 2x1TB (system is on 1TB)

PCI HD core card

PCI HD Accell card

dsdt.zip

Hello Valderval,

Yes, it's the same KP as yours, the curious thing is that it happens independently of having the PCI cards inserted, you can install the full PTHD9.0.5 on a system without even having the cards at all and the KP will occur, if you uninstall PT everything goes back to normal. I also tried an ASUS P8Q67-M and it gave me the same results. I read somewhere about people having this issue before (on real macs) and the culprit being bad RAM modules, but since this KP occurs with or without DSDT and with different RAM configurations i now doubt that it has anything to do with it.

I had Lion with this HD2 PT9.0.5 installed on a P55A and everything worked perfectly.

I'm now trying to install 10.6.8 on the Giga GA-Q67M-D2H F5 but i'm getting a KP when installing 10.6.8 combo update.

Maybe the first SL installation i had on this board wasn't working fine and it ported through xMove to the Lion installer partition? I've been using that same partition to install Lion all the time.

Did you find the reason for your KP yet?

• 3 weeks later...

GA-Q67M-D2H happily working here too with 10.6.8 & 10.7.2 and HD2 :)

It was a bit more complicated than I thought at first.

I went to a fully manual method.

First I installed 10.6.3, then upgraded to 10.6.8 in my already working hackintosh. Later I patched the DSDT myself, but all I got were kernel panics at boot. I tried Madlon's patches but the panics stayed. Finally using the already patched DSDT by Madlon I was able to boot, but I was not happy with that solution. Comparing both his DSDT and mine, there were several different memory addresses (mine had 16 gb of ram), so I tried again using my dump with his patches.

Again, kernel panic. Finally I had no choice other than making changes on my (already patched with Madlons changes) DSDT and his own one, step by step.

And voilà. I don't know why, but as soon as I changed all the entries with LEDB to BBLE it worked. So finally I got a proper DSDT with the correct addresses for my memory size.

I have no idea about why this was necessary, but it worked. The strange thing is this change wasn't included in Madlon's patches in spite of the system will panic unless you change that.

Madlon could you explain what is the reason of that name change? I think I would never have been able to get this mobo working without dissecting his DSDT first, and I can't find any reference about those entries.

On the other hand, this motherboard has a quite big problem: YOU CAN'T OVERCLOCK :(

I didn't know it before, but the Q67 chipset doesn't allow overclocking, even with the unlocked i7 2600K. The chipset is supposed to be used only in the enterprise market and Intel doesn't allow overclocking at all in the bios.

That is a pity, since I bought a great heatsink and case which easily would had allowed me to overclock to ~4500mhz.

Does somebody know any way to get software overclocking in OS X? Maybe this limitation is only BIOS based.

Also PowerStates are not working in this mobo. Chameleon is not able to generate C a P states at boot and the default AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext panics without patching.

All I was able to get was a underclocked i7 2600K by using an iMac12,2 smbios, and a a patched AIPM.kext :o

So, no turbo modes at all :(

@VooD

Very good job.

Post compiled DSDT, I'd like to try it.

I'm now trying to install 10.6.8 on the Giga GA-Q67M-D2H F5 but i'm getting a KP when installing 10.6.8 combo update.

Yes, it seems that with 10.6.8 DigiDal kext gives KP when there is no HD card installed.

So without HD card rename (do not remove) DigiDal.kext and run kext utility.

But with HD card inserted you have to re-enable DigiDal.kext otherwise the cards will not be recognized by Protools.

Can you also confirm ?

@VooD

Very good job.

Post compiled DSDT, I'd like to try it.

Ok, here is my full extra folder. It's valid for 10.6.8 and 10.7.2. Both 32&64 bits (default 64 bits)

The system had the following when the DSDT was dumped & patched:

F3 BIOS

8gb x 2 RAM DIMMS = 16 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4670

All useless bios settins regarding to remote server administration, onboard audio, and video were disabled.

Used Chameleon is 2.1 svn-r1618

Btw, extra folder contains a disabler for AICPUPM.kext since even with the patched version all you get is an underclocked CPU and potential problems in each new 10.7.x update (as you have to repatch the file).

Since this computer is going to be used for somebody who doesn't have a clue about how to setup a hackintosh it needed to be the easiest to mantein as possible. So with the HD 4670, and the disabler he won't have to worry at all in each update until 10.8.0 is released :D (I hope so)

Here's the extra folder

Extra.zip

And here's the only one additional kext I had to install in /S/L/E

AppleIntelE1000e.zip

Thanks a lot for your input VooD. :unsure:

My system is also working, HD2 on a GA-Q67M-D2H F5.

No DSDT, installed audio & network using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I followed another thread on tony's forum, using r0bertfisk's method.

It works, a couple of weeks and counting, i manage to get around 12000 score on geekbench, my only problem being the temperature going from the chipset heatsink to the HD card, electronics hate heat, and this is expensive electronics... :/

Thanks a lot for your input VooD. :unsure:

My system is also working, HD2 on a GA-Q67M-D2H F5.

No DSDT, installed audio & network using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I followed another thread on tony's forum, using r0bertfisk's method.

It works, a couple of weeks and counting, i manage to get around 12000 score on geekbench, my only problem being the temperature going from the chipset heatsink to the HD card, electronics hate heat, and this is expensive electronics... :/

No DSDT??? What do you mean? You have'nt used a DSDT at all?

All I got were kernel panics until a proper DSDT was installed. How did you solve that without using a modded DSDT?

There's no DSDT file installed, i installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with the dsdt free solution. It works extremely well. I'm using 10.6.8. But i think lion works as well. I only had to install network and audio kexts.