help: skipping kext graphics in boot

demian12

19 posts in this topic

hello, i installed snow leopard in my notebook with ''nawcom OSX86 ModCD 0.3.1''.

start correctly, but at the time of booting, not load the kext grapics, and leads me to desktop with the resolution of 1024x768 (and I can not modify)

i have video graphic: ati mobility 5650 hd 1gb ddr3.

I'm new, and do not understand very well how to properly load the kext/s

attached some pictures:

here where skipping kext load (ati5000controller and atiframebuffer)

skipping.jpg

here shows, no kext loaded graphics

informationw.jpg

i installed snow leopard in my notebook with ''nawcom OSX86 ModCD 0.3.1''.

start correctly, but at the time of booting, not load the kext grapics

That's the idea. Graphics drivers are blacklisted when using Nawcom's boot CD for compatibility reasons:

http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=306

Once you have installed OS X you're supposed to stop using the boot CD, install a boot loader to your hard drive and add the drivers you need for your hardware. I am not familiar with nawcom's boot CD but it's possible that it comes with these drivers.

Anyway go to nawcom's blog and see what you can find over there.

Once you have installed OS X you're supposed to stop using the boot CD, install a boot loader to your hard drive and add the drivers you need for your hardware.
go to nawcom's blog and see what you can find over there.

I can use a larger font if you want. Let me know. :(

Well, after reading the page nawcom. boot does not specify that I use it, seems that you can use any, I'm trying to Chameleon 2 RC5 (prerelease), who haunts the forum. Once installed, reboot and nothing happens. must be because I run a dual boot, I have Windows 7 on a partition (and it starts with this), now if I could give a help on how to make a dual boot with chameleon? thanx

Yes, you should use Chameleon 2.0 RC5. Special steps need to be taken if you have Windows and OS X installed to the same drive. I can't tell for sure from your posts what your configuration is. It sounds like you indeed have Windows and OS X installed to the same hard drive - which can be problematic.

Unless you do it right :P , installing Chameleon could result in Windows being unable to boot.

Run terminal, type diskutil list and post the output here.

If I'm reading it right, the drive you have installed Snow Leopard on doesn't have a Windows installation, just an NTFS data partition, right?

Is it an external drive connected via USB? Can your laptop boot from USB? If you don't know, try a bootable flash drive.

If so, this means you can safely install Chameleon to it without having to worry about Windows at all. Then just plug it in and boot from it when you want to run OS X. It's the easiest way and less prone to cause trouble than installing Chameleon to your Windows drive.

This might not be an option for you but I would repartition and format the external drive to GPT using Disk Utility so that you can install retail OS X. Retail will not install to an MBR drive unless you modify some files in the installer packages.

Apple's Disk Utility cannot create NTFS partitions but you could leave the data partition as FAT32 and then convert it to NTFS in Windows.

name='Gringo Vermelho' date='Jun 3 2011, 05:17 AM' post='1692203']

If I'm reading it right, the drive you have installed Snow Leopard on doesn't have a Windows installation, just an NTFS data partition, right?

if, where the snow leopard installed, there is nothing inside. only mac os (with register) and NTFS with MBR mode

Is it an external drive connected via USB? Can your laptop boot from USB? If you don't know, try a bootable flash drive.

no, all partitions are shown, they are one HDD

If so, this means you can safely install Chameleon to it without having to worry about Windows at all. Then just plug it in and boot from it when you want to run OS X. It's the easiest way and less prone to cause trouble than installing Chameleon to your Windows drive.

This might not be an option for you but I would repartition and format the external drive to GPT using Disk Utility so that you can install retail OS X. Retail will not install to an MBR drive unless you modify some files in the installer packages.

Apple's Disk Utility cannot create NTFS partitions but you could leave the data partition as FAT32 and then convert it to NTFS in Windows.

being only one HDD, no way to make a dual boot? :)

name='Gringo Vermelho' date='Jun 3 2011, 06:44 PM' post='1692422']

I don't understand. Your diskutil list output shows exactly two 500 GB hard drives and a CD.

if it is a hard drive 1TB capacity;

in principle were 2 partitions of 500gb, then divided one partition of 500gb in 2, where you install mac os x to 70GB, and 400GB in NTFS remaining

Yes it's possible but I can't help you with that.

well, thanks anyway, I will try to find some way, if you hear something help me

last consultation, may differ from this capture, if it's a kext problem or something mac system, or is it a problem that the boot partition not detected?

PD:I do not mind loading mac os x from cdboot, but it is possible to load the kexts from the cd?

post-807316-1307127591_thumb.jpg

last consultation, may differ from this capture, if it's a kext problem or something mac system, or is it a problem that the boot partition not detected?

Kernel panic in IOPCIFamily.kext, hardware/ACPI issue probably, has nothing to do with booting or partitions, you're already booting at this point.

You're using a desktop Mac model identifier (iMac11,1) on a laptop. You should be using a laptop model identifier. Google/forum search smbios.plist for more information.

PD:I do not mind loading mac os x from cdboot, but it is possible to load the kexts from the cd?

Yes of course, otherwise boot CDs would not be very useful. Your boot CD is already loading kexts. Look inside preboot.dmg/initrd.img on the boot CD. If you want to learn more about the structure of a boot CD and which files are required, find a guide on how to make one. There are several out there. I have one posted over on the VoodooProjects forum.

Well, after checking that the dual boot working, wipe the mac partition and install again.

now when trying to boot mac os x (with chameleon), loading for a moment, loads the apple logo and restarts the pc. :S

edit: here a screenshot of the boot from the disk, before rebooting automatically.

at the top of the screen lacks this list of commands:

*Read HFS+ file: [hd91,20/system/library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist] 475 bytes.

*Hibernate image is too old by 14011 seconds. Use ForceWake=y to override

*Loading Darwin 10.6

*Continuous capture here

post-807316-1307154036_thumb.jpg

All of those messages are from the Chameleon bootloader, at that point OS X hasn't started to load yet.

I don't see anything wrong except it's bitching about your video card a bit. But I don't know if any of it is important, I don't know anything about ATI cards, sorry. Also "no smbios replacement found" means you have no smbios.plist in /Extra. Chameleon will set its own default values when no smbios.plist is found but those are not always the best for your hardware. My advice still stands, Google/forum search smbios.plist for more information.

Chameleon is loading an Extensions.mkext from your extra folder. What's in it?

What chipset (southbridge) does your laptop have? You might need to add drivers or patches for it to /Extra/Extensions in order for OS X to boot.

It's difficult to help without more information, your screenshot does not give any clues about why it would restart during the boot process.

Can you boot in safe mode? Try booting with -v -x and if you can get in then run console.app and look at kernel.log and system.log for clues.

name='Gringo Vermelho' date='Jun 4 2011, 06:44 AM' post='1692638']

All of those messages are from the Chameleon bootloader, at that point OS X hasn't started to load yet.

I don't see anything wrong except it's bitching about your video card a bit. But I don't know if any of it is important, I don't know anything about ATI cards, sorry. Also "no smbios replacement found" means you have no smbios.plist in /Extra. Chameleon will set its own default values when no smbios.plist is found but those are not always the best for your hardware. My advice still stands, Google/forum search smbios.plist for more information.

well, now enclose some screenshots with all the information. I hope that this can give me an idea of how to setup: smbios.plist

Chameleon is loading an Extensions.mkext from your extra folder. What's in it?

In Extensions.mkext:

Found 11 kexts:

/Volumes/OS Secondary/Extra/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext - com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub (1.0d1)

/Volumes/OS Secondary/Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.com.kext - com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Controller (1.1)

/Volumes/OS Secondary/Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext - com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Keyboard (1.2)

/Volumes/OS Secondary/Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/plugins/ApplePS2Mouse,kext - com.apple.drover.applePS2Mouse (1.2)

/Volumes/OS Secondary/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext - org.netkas.fakesmc (2.0)

/Volumes/OS Secondary/Extra/Extensions/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext - org.chameleon.plist.IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (1.1.1)

/Volumes/OS Secondary/Extra/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext - com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily (9.9)

/Volumes/OS Secondary/Extra/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/RealtekRTL81xx.kext - com.Inx2mac.driver.RealtekRTL81xx (0.0.67)

/Volumes/OS Secondary/Extra/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement (1.0d2)

/Volumes/OS Secondary/Extra/Extensions/TotallyFixStillWaiting.kext - com.objection.TotallyFixStillWaiting.smith@@ (1.0)

/Volumes/OS Secondary/Extra/Extensions/VoodooBattery.kext - com.superhai.driver.VoodooBattery (1.3.3)

PD: in /system/library/extensions/ there are 175 kext, is it normal?

What chipset (southbridge) does your laptop have? You might need to add drivers or patches for it to /Extra/Extensions in order for OS X to boot.

It's difficult to help without more information, your screenshot does not give any clues about why it would restart during the boot process

look at the attached screenshots

Can you boot in safe mode? Try booting with -v -x and if you can get in then run console.app and look at kernel.log and system.log for clues.

does not start, loads a kext list, about 4 or 5 pages, and restarts

post-807316-1307209860_thumb.jpg

post-807316-1307209872_thumb.jpg

post-807316-1307209897_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

relive post up.

Today I was trying to start again snow leopard.

I read a little about my laptop.

I have 2 HDD, one with windows 7, and the other where you install mac os x mode MBR (with 2 partition).

Now, when you boot with chameleon, this appears (screens below)

PS: I tried several boots ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], empire EFI, Revel EFI). nothing work.

the only one that boots and starts the OS, is nawcom CD Mod, but does not boot properly without the cd (nawcom)

post-807316-1309206192_thumb.jpg

post-807316-1309206232_thumb.jpg